Disable all logs

How to customize and extend your OpenVPN installation.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

pjalan
OpenVpn Newbie

Disable all logs

Post by pjalan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:55 pm

Hello,

I currently have OpenVPN client installed on Windows 7. I want to disable all sorts of logs by the client application and would want it to remove (/shred) the session history as soon as I disconnect from the openvpn server.

Any recommendations? Thanks!! :)

maikcat
Forum Team

Re: Disable all logs

Post by maikcat » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:27 pm

disable logs using verb 0

Michael.

pjalan
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by pjalan » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:59 am

Can you kindly elaborate as where exactly I need to put verb 0. I am completely new to the VPN world. Thanks :)

maikcat
Forum Team

Post by maikcat » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:43 am

to your config file,

btw which "client" do you have?

Michael.

pjalan
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by pjalan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:38 pm

I am currently using the OpenVPN GUI client on Windows Server 2012.

maikcat
Forum Team

Post by maikcat » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:51 am

did you managed to edit your config?

Michael.

JimVern
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by JimVern » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:27 am

To add 'verb 0' to the client config, I opened the OpenVPN admin console, and clicked on "Advanced VPN Settings". At the bottom of the screen, I typed 'verb 0' (less the quotes) in the 'Client Config Directives'. 'verb' means how 'verbose' to make the log entries. '0' means 'silent except for fatal errors'. After you save the changes, you have to scroll to the top and click the button to update the running server.

I then removed and reinstalled the OpenVPN client on the user's computer, and now the log under 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN Technologies\OpenVPN Client\etc\log' is exponentially smaller. I tried simply stopping and restarting the OpenVPN service on another user's machine, and it didn't seem to decrease the logging. So maybe uninstalling and reinstalling is the only way to force it to pull down the new 'verb 0' param. I don't know for sure.

My problem was that in about 3 hours, the user log grew to 40+ Gigs. All because their Win10 went to sleep, and when it woke up, the VPN client didn't properly reconnect and then got caught in a loop of trying to reconnect with WAY to much data being pushed to the log with each retry.