Migrating to new OpevnVPN Server

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
gcranshaw
OpenVpn Newbie

Migrating to new OpevnVPN Server

Post by gcranshaw » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:48 pm

I have an older Ubuntu server setup running OpenVPN 1.8.0. We currently use it as our primary VPN server for remote staff. I want to transition the server to a newer Debian 6.0 server and I'm am looking for advice on the best way to migrate to the new server. I would like to keep down time to a minimum and be able to just change the inbound firewall rule to point to the new server and have remote staff just log back into the VPN without an issue. We are using MS Active Directory authentication with OpenVPN. Would we be better off just setting up the new server similar to the old one and just do a cut over or is there a way to use the backup/standby features to make it easier? We will also need to deal with the current license key we have for 10 users on the old server to get it on the new server.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mimiko
Forum Team

Re: Migrating to new OpevnVPN Server

Post by Mimiko » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:52 am

Install new system, install OpenVPN, copy the config file. Analyze config file of old OpenVPN and replace deprecated options. Start and test new one.

shar0119
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by shar0119 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:45 am

How do I move over the license key to the new machine?

mwandelaar
OpenVPN Super User

Post by mwandelaar » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:54 am

I guess tho old server is not a community-server, but maybe an access-server? If so, i guess your support-contract or other support-options willl give you an answer.

If it's just a community-server, just copy the configfiles, including certificates and keys and you're good to go. I allready did just that several times before.

shar0119
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by shar0119 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:42 am

Thanks for your reply.

I contacted support and they provided me with a new license key for the new server. It seems the license keys are bound to hardware features so same license key cannot be activated on new server.

I have moved over the cert and key. The only problem I am having now is that the autologin profiles from old server don't work for new server. I guess some kind of user based key must be different on both servers. We are trying not to reissue a new profile for all the users and simply point the hostname to the new server.