AUTH: Received AUTH_FAILED control message

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
liberty0
OpenVpn Newbie

AUTH: Received AUTH_FAILED control message

Post by liberty0 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:05 pm

I'm using CyberGhostVPN. I've literally searched every corner of the internet trying to find what I'm doing wrong. CyberGhost has multiple .ovpn files so I just pick one and connect by typing

Code: Select all

openvpn --config CyberGhostVPN_DE-Server.ovpn
(The german server) and it asks me for my username and password which I give. Then I get a Peer connection initiated with <ip address> and then I get this:

Mon Nov 26 12:00:57 2012 AUTH: Received AUTH_FAILED control message
Mon Nov 26 12:00:57 2012 SIGTERM[soft,auth-failure] received, process exiting
I can't understand why I get this error. My account is active and my username and password works. I've already tried this on windows and it works fine on windows. The problem is, I really don't want to use windows. I don't understand why this is happening. Please help.

liberty0
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: AUTH: Received AUTH_FAILED control message

Post by liberty0 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:52 pm

Could this be because I don't have port 9081 open? I scanned my router and it didn't have 9081 opened. I tried to vpnc it and I got a 'Connection refused'. Is it possible that a firewall is blocking it?

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: AUTH: Received AUTH_FAILED control message

Post by novaflash » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:33 pm

This question is much better asked of this CyberGhostVPN you speak of.

In any case, probably what you need to do is just use this command parameter: --auth-user-pass

openvpn --config CyberGhostVPN_DE-Server.ovpn --auth-user-pass
Good luck with that.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.