End user problems

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

jeltsch
OpenVpn Newbie

End user problems

Post by jeltsch » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:36 pm

My employer (the University of Helsinki) uses OpenVPN. When I broke my leg last week, the only way to log into my VPN was my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.1). Even though I spent hours trying, I couldn't get it to work. Also the computing support from my university could not help. After I trying out many things I have a few questions that might me help forward and get me connected:

I have imported the certificate of the university via "Settings/Security/Install from device storage". When I try to connect, it complains that there is no certificate. Can I use that imported certificate and how do I reference it in the .ovpn file? I tried with the name of the organization (ca "University of Helsinki"), but that didn't work. I also tried to reference a crt file on the sdcard, but that didn't work either (ca /sdcard/liteca.crt). The university provides the configuration file for UNIX/Linux and I have just changed the extension from .conf to .ovpn. Another thing I don't understand is that the error message "No certificates found" continues to explain that I can install certificates from PKCS#12 files. Why is that? How do I transform the X.509 into PKCS#12 format? Any help is appreciated.

Below my configuration file ("profile"):

Code: Select all

verb 4
mlock
mtu-disc maybe
mtu-test
script-security 2

# added because DNS doesn't work on Ubuntu 12.04
up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

keepalive 60 360

redirect-gateway def1