Need Help With OpenVPN on Windows 2000

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
QuiescentWonder
OpenVpn Newbie

Need Help With OpenVPN on Windows 2000

Post by QuiescentWonder » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:09 pm

This is the first time I've installed and configured OpenVPN. I'm running 2.0.9 on Windows 2000 Server, I couldn't bridge the connections in 2000 so I'm using the NAT routing mode. After I had everything configured properly I tested the VPN from within the office and it seemed to work fine. Their modem/router had some issue with port forwarding so I had no way to test it outside of the office. When I tested from within the office I could browse files on the server computer that was running OpenVPN BUT first I had to manually configure the TAP network adapter on the server computer. It wouldn't get any settings from DHCP. The next day Embarq delivered a new modem/router and I configured it to have the same settings as their old one plus setup port forwarding on TCP 1194 and poked a hole in the firewall. The ONLY thing that's changed is the modem/router and I've rebooted the server. Now clients connect to the VPN and aquire an IP/Subnet mask via DHCP but they can't ping any other VPN clients or the server. No traffic can get through. I've tried using the client on Windows XP SP3 and Vista SP1. I've browsed through the log files and couldn't find anything that looked like an error. Is this a common problem? Is there something simple I'm overlooking? I can post the log and configuration files if need be as well as turn the verbosity up all the way. I have terminal services access from home so I can get to everything at any time of the day and test right away. ANY suggestions are appreciated.

QuiescentWonder
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by QuiescentWonder » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:20 am

Also, there is no firewall on the server and it has been disabled on the clients.

batozai
OpenVpn Newbie

openvpn tutorial

Post by batozai » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:28 am

krzee
Forum Team

Post by krzee » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:26 am

Please post your config files.

krzee
Forum Team

Post by krzee » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:00 am

QuiescentWonder;7 wrote:... I'm using the NAT routing mode.... It wouldn't get any settings from DHCP. ... Now clients connect to the VPN and aquire an IP/Subnet mask via DHCP but they can't ping any other VPN clients or the server.
Are you sure you are using routed tunnel? DHCP will not go over a routed tun, only a tap interface (used for bridging). DHCP is layer2 (tap), IP traffic is layer3 (tun).
From your lack of posting configs I must assume you got it working.

smartas

Re: openvpn tutorial

Post by smartas » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:00 pm