Are there free alternatives to OpenVPN?

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

php111
OpenVpn Newbie

Are there free alternatives to OpenVPN?

Post by php111 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:09 am

Hi,

I use uTorrent, and I live in the USA. I am new to OpenVPN. I am looking for free alternatives to OpenVPN, but the OpenVPN service would be located outside of the USA. I am mainly looking for free, and hopefully that service won't keep logs, so no one would snoop. My understanding that OpenVPN.net service is payment where it's not free? Could anyone make some recommendations that would be free, and that would work with uTorrent without the snooping?

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium desktop PC, and that is a 32-bit OS.

As for my Internet goes. I have a DSL modem only without a router.

I am not running any type of servers.

I hope that info helps.

Thank you for any replies!

webdriver
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Are there free alternatives to OpenVPN?

Post by webdriver » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:23 pm

I want to know it too, I appreciate any feedback from you guys

Thanks

somms
OpenVPN User

Post by somms » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:09 pm

I'm using Asus RT-N66u wireless router w/Tomato firmware running OpenVPN 2.2.2 that serves as my OpenVPN server for remote clients and the firmware is 100% free: http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... 4E_ypXTo2w

php111
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by php111 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:22 pm

somms wrote:I'm using Asus RT-N66u wireless router w/Tomato firmware running OpenVPN 2.2.2 that serves as my OpenVPN server for remote clients and the firmware is 100% free: http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... 4E_ypXTo2w
I don't have a router, or any type of server, honestly. I don't own a router. I have a DSL modem only through my local phone/Internet company. Would I still be able to have a OpenVPN server that does not at all require a router that would be 100% free?

jofre
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jofre » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:30 pm

Nothing is really for free.
My advice, get a VPS in a more friendly location and deploy your own Open VPN server.
Jofre

gnutter
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by gnutter » Tue May 29, 2012 2:33 am

Hi guys,

Just to let you know (if you happen to see this), that the openvpn project is, itself, open source. That means, among other things, that the source code is freely available.

There are a number of applications that use openvpn's code in their implementations.

You may want to check out this page.

It lists different projects with GUIs you can use to get it configured correctly.

gabfree407
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by gabfree407 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:16 am

From what I understand about their free vpn, they're just offering 100 MB free and after you consume their 100 MB you have to pay.