OpenVPN at Paid Service, Except for a Certain Application

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Jaynoc
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN at Paid Service, Except for a Certain Application

Post by Jaynoc » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:57 pm

Ok, so I'm thinking about getting an OpenVPN subscription from WiTopia. However, I wish to exclude the traffic from a certain application(s), while having everything else go through the VPN. You may have guessed that this application I wish to exclude is a game, for latency reasons. I'm looking and hoping greatly for an elegant solution to this, without having to just disable the VPN while I'm playing; and having to close the game out and re-enable the VPN to use my browser or such. I am running on Windows 7 64-bit. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Jaynoc
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN at Paid Service, Except for a Certain Applicatio

Post by Jaynoc » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:01 pm

Ok, I figured out how to get this partially working if I have the remote IP address of the server I'm trying to connect to outside of the OpenVPN tunnel. I add the following to the client configuration file for OpenVPN:

route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 net_gateway

...where 1.1.1.1 is replaced by the IP address of the server I'm trying to connect to... However, this presents a new issue.. kinda...

This is evidently referred to as 'split routing', but there's like no documentation that I've been able to find concerning the extensions of this... What I need to know now is how would I add an IP address range in this fashion?