TAP32 100mbps

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
azazzaro
OpenVpn Newbie

TAP32 100mbps

Post by azazzaro » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:41 am

Good morning,
I installed it on my desk openvpn 2.2.2, TAP32 Virtual Adapter is installed and configured the speed of 10Mbps. I noticed during a transfer of a 100mb file from the network card TAP32 was used at 100% of its 10Mbps. Is there a driver to install to 100Mbits to avoid delays?
thanks

janjust
Forum Team

Re: TAP32 100mbps

Post by janjust » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:54 am

the tap-win32 adapter will report that it is a 10 Mbps device but in theory it can support speeds up to ~ 160 Mbps . In practice speeds will top off at about 90 Mbps on Windows , but this has nothing to do with the speed reported by the adapter itself.

azazzaro
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by azazzaro » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks!!
There is a planned future development that will bring the TAP32 adapter 100Mbit? Or a Windows registry key to change to enable the adapter to 100Mbit?

janjust
Forum Team

Post by janjust » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:44 pm

the speed of the tap-win32 adapter is a bogus number - in order to change it you need to recompile the driver. I don't know of any plans of bumping up this bogus number; 10 Mbps is consistent with the linux tun/tap driver - it also reports 10 Mbps

wil3
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by wil3 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:18 am

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum, but while searching for a solution of my problem I red a lot of your advices, so I feel like I know you for a long time ;)

Anyway, I decided to continue this thread to avoid creating a new one. I have an OpenVPN server at home and OpenVPN client somewhere else. All works great except the bandwith, my TAP-WIN32 adapter is connected at 10mbps speed. Now, please, don't tell me that this speed number is a bogus number ( janjust ;) ) cause I have 40mbps bw at home and it works with this speed. Using OpenVPN all I can get is around 7.5mbps. I did some tests and transferred a file from the same computer without OpenVPN (using public IP ftp) and with OpenVPN (using LAN IP). The transfer speed was around 30-35mbps in a first case, but when I connected to FTP server using LAN IP the transfer speed was much lower (max. 7.5-8mbps). So the connection speed of TAP-WIN32 adapter is exactly as it's described in its properties.

I need OpenVPN to make DLNA working (multicast). I tried PPTP before, but I couldn't get multicast working, it's said that it's a known issue and there is no work around. Using OpenVPN DLNA works great, but I need a large bandwith to stream HD content (1080p movies). And here I am, looking for your help guys :)

Another information you may need:
I have a WRT320N router with DD-WRT v24-sp2 mega (OpenVPN server at home).
The client computer and a server are in different subnets within the same provider subnet (client ip: xx.xxx.214.xx; server ip: xx.xxx.215.xx)
The client OS is Windows XP SP3
OpenVPN tunnel is set up without lz compresion.

I need a solution or a confirmation that it can't be done till new TAP-WIN32 driver is released. Maybe someone has succeded with gaining more than 10mbps speed using topography similar to mine (WAN <--OVPN--> LAN).

p.s. I've just found a way to increase the OpenVPN bandwith by turning on reserved bandwith in QoS group policies and setting it to 0% (on client computer), however I can't test if it helped at the moment.

thanks in advance for any help or advice.

gridrun
OpenVPN User

Post by gridrun » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:05 pm

wil3 wrote: p.s. I've just found a way to increase the OpenVPN bandwith by turning on reserved bandwith in QoS group policies and setting it to 0% (on client computer), however I can't test if it helped at the moment.
An interesting find. Maybe the Windows QoS shaper reads the interface bandwidth and uses it as a basis for it's operation?
First rule of programming: It's always your fault! - Jeff Atwood

wil3
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by wil3 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:46 pm

gridrun wrote: An interesting find. Maybe the Windows QoS shaper reads the interface bandwidth and uses it as a basis for it's operation?
Well, it didn't help at all.

However I did some tests with my second OpenVPN tunnel (connection to my company's network). The tunnel is in tun mode (route) and the topology is a bit different than my private one:

Computer with OpenVPN client (1)
<--WAN, OVPN tunnel-->
OpenVPN server, tun mode, desktop computer (2)
<--WAN, OVPN tunnel-->
My computer with OpenVPN client (3)

In this topology I am able to download a file at 20mbit (direction: 1 -> 3).

My private topology looks like this:

Computer with OpenVPN client (1)
<--WAN, OVPN tunnel-->
OpenVPN server, tap mode (bridge), Linksys WRT320N (2)
<--LAN-->
My computer (3)

In this topology I am able to download a file at 7.5-8mbit (direction: 1-> 3). If I omit the OpenVPN and use public IPs, I can download a file at full speed of my link.

Now I'm stuck. Propably I will try to switch roles of server and client, I will make my router client and my remote computer will be an OpenVPN server, maybe it'll help.

regards