Disabling split tunneling for specific users?

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
danswartz
OpenVpn Newbie

Disabling split tunneling for specific users?

Post by danswartz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:37 pm

Sorry if this has been answered - I searched and couldn't find this answered. Anyway, I have an openvpn virtual machine installed under ESXi. I use it for access to my home LAN when away. Works just fine. My brother travels overseas a lot, and some countries block his access to sites like pandora. I've got a vpn profile created for him, but I want him to use split tunneling, but not me. The split tunneling config setting on the GUI seems to be global. I am assuming I can add the line 'redirect-gateway def1' to his bundles config, but it isn't obvious (to me anyway), where that lives. Any tips would be much appreciated!

janjust
Forum Team

Re: Disabling split tunneling for specific users?

Post by janjust » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:36 pm

The split tunneling config setting on the GUI seems to be global.
which GUI is this?

"split tunnelling" is configured by adding or removing the line

Code: Select all

redirect-gateway def1
to the client config file (anywhere is fine, really); it can also be pushed by the server to a specific client, e.g, only for your brother's certificate

danswartz
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by danswartz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:39 pm

janjust wrote:
The split tunneling config setting on the GUI seems to be global.
which GUI is this?

"split tunnelling" is configured by adding or removing the line

Code: Select all

redirect-gateway def1
to the client config file (anywhere is fine, really); it can also be pushed by the server to a specific client, e.g, only for your brother's certificate
The GUI is the web-based one the openvpn distro supports. I am using the vmware appliance. As far as pushing to a specific client, how do I do that? e.g. I have this virtual machine appliance which seems to be based on a debian distro. So, I login to the system via ssh and... what? It isn't clear to me where this implementation puts the per-user config files. If I knew, I could add the redirect command, but where? Sorry if this is obvious to you, it isn't to me.

janjust
Forum Team

Post by janjust » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:20 pm

sounds like OpenVPN Access Server, which I know very little about . I'm moving this topic to the right forum.

danswartz
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by danswartz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:55 pm

Yes, my error, sorry. It is in fact the Access Server.