Would You Use A VPN Provider That Gives You A Static IP?

This forum is to discuss and rate service providers of OpenVPN and similar services. THIS IS NOT A FREE ADVERTISEMENT. All posts have a poll with a rating of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, to rate the quality of service, etc.
Forum rules
1) You must create a poll with 5 options, Do Not Recommend (1), Poor (2), Acceptable (3), Would Recommend (4), Strongly Recommend (5).
2) This is not a free advertisement for providers, but a place to review those providers.
3) Polls which are found to be doctored by providers will be locked to a rating of 1 and the source of the spoofing will be revealed to all, including Google.
DasFox
OpenVPN User

Would You Use A VPN Provider That Gives You A Static IP?

Post by DasFox » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:26 am

I've had some VPN providers in the past try to convince me that using a static ip all my own can be just as safe.

Well I don't doubt that it can be just as safe, the problem is with so many VPN providers out there, many of them we have to really place a lot of trust in and I just don't trust any of them enough to want to use my own single static IP.

I believe in doing things more the Tor way of using the internet, lost in the crowd, with thousands sharing the same IP, to me this is greater privacy and security and a lot harder to find you.

I look at it this way, some high level hacker or the law cracks into the VPN and you have your own IP, well, no one else is on the other end excpet you, certainly doesn't seem like a lot of privacy if you ask me...

What do you think about your own static IP with a VPN provider?

janjust
Forum Team

Re: Would You Use A VPN Provider That Gives You A Static IP?

Post by janjust » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:29 am

what do you want from your VPN provider? anonymity? then you should not use a provider that gives you a static IP; there are many other use cases where a static IP for your VPN link is a great advantage, however.

DasFox
OpenVPN User

Post by DasFox » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:38 am

janjust wrote:what do you want from your VPN provider? anonymity? then you should not use a provider that gives you a static IP; there are many other use cases where a static IP for your VPN link is a great advantage, however.

Well it would be great to have privacy, security and anonymity...

Can you please explain where it is advantageous to having a static IP?

THANKS

janjust
Forum Team

Post by janjust » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:28 am

a static IP from a VPN provider would make it easier for me to access certain online banking sites (which do IP based checks, amongst other things) , and I can more easily offer a service via my VPN (e.g. web server, file server) without having to resort to dyndns tricks. Also, if I have to use dyndns then anonymity is a moot point anyway.

If all you're interested in is anonymous browsing then a dynamic IP is preferred; don't be fooled by the 'security' of a TOR network: the TOR endpoints are known attack-insertion (and/or sniffing) points.

DasFox
OpenVPN User

Post by DasFox » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:56 pm

janjust wrote:a static IP from a VPN provider would make it easier for me to access certain online banking sites (which do IP based checks, amongst other things) , and I can more easily offer a service via my VPN (e.g. web server, file server) without having to resort to dyndns tricks. Also, if I have to use dyndns then anonymity is a moot point anyway.

If all you're interested in is anonymous browsing then a dynamic IP is preferred; don't be fooled by the 'security' of a TOR network: the TOR endpoints are known attack-insertion (and/or sniffing) points.
I was talking about the differences of having your own 'Static IP' or sharing a 'Static IP' with hundreds or even thousands of people, no dynamic ips...

I personally thought it would be better to use a VPN service that gave you a shared static ip everyone uses, rather then having your own static ip?

Yes I know about Tor... :)

THANKS

jrtek98
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jrtek98 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:47 am

I would tend to think that being given your own IP or a block of IP's was a coveted thing. Some of the advantages, I would think, would outweigh the disadvantages.
<a href=“http://hepcdiary.blogspot.com/”>Practical Tips When Applying for Disability - December 2011</a>
<a href=“http://dailypassage1.blogspot.com/”>Romans 12:2</a>

ichmry
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by ichmry » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:16 am

a static IP from a VPN provider would make it easier for me to access certain online banking sites (which do IP based checks, amongst other things) , and I can more easily offer a service via my VPN (e.g. web server, file server) without having to resort to dyndns tricks. Also, if I have to use dyndns then anonymity is a moot point anyway.

If all you're interested in is anonymous browsing then a dynamic IP is preferred; don't be fooled by the 'security' of a TOR network: the TOR endpoints are known attack-insertion (and/or sniffing) points. :)

Andrew
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by Andrew » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:37 pm

We don't offer static IP's for our service https://www.privatetunnel.com because a static ip is just one more identifying characteristic that a website can use to track you. I prefer to give our customers shared ip's as their traffic and habits would be intermixed with other users.
Andrew Proctor
OpenVPN Technologies
http://openvpn.net