Requesting help to get comp-lzo working

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
AzertyNL
OpenVpn Newbie

Requesting help to get comp-lzo working

Post by AzertyNL » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:17 pm

Is on the fly compression supposed to work? I'm having problems getting "comp-lzo" option to work.

My config file:
dev tun
comp-lzo yes
secret my.key
ifconfig 10.12.12.1 10.12.12.2
verb 3
(client side is similar)

I am using the Fedora16 distributed openvpn 2.2.1 and also tried an executable compiled myself from the sources with the lzo library and headers explicitly configured, showing the same behavior.

I'm running a 10 megabit connection between both ends. If I tranfer (sftp) a large highly compressable file (mkfile 10240k FILE) I clearly see that no compression is taking place (speed is 966 KBytes/s) over the vpn connection.

When I transfer the file over the same network (but not using the vpn) using ssh's compression option sftp -O "Compression=yes" I see a 12-fold speedup due to compression taking place, so the file compresses fine.
An sftp -o "Compression=yes" over the vpn connection also compresses fine (10-fold speedup) but I would like openvpn to handle the compression like it seems intended with comp-lzo.

Am I configuring openvpn wrong? Why is it not compressing, how can I debug the problem?

janjust
Forum Team

Re: Requesting help to get comp-lzo working

Post by janjust » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:53 am

LZO compression over a VPN tunnel will not give you the same compression ratios as 'scp -O Compression=yes' ; OpenVPN's LZO compression can only try to compress each 1472 bytes packet that is sent over the wire - that will never be as effective as a full blown file encryption (like scp can do).

To test OpenVPN's encryption speed try to copy over a file containing all zeros and a file containing random stuf (e.g. a .tar.gz or ZIP file). You should clearly see a difference in transfer speeds when lzo is enabled or disabled.

AzertyNL
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Requesting help to get comp-lzo working

Post by AzertyNL » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:27 pm

janjust wrote:To test OpenVPN's encryption speed try to copy over a file containing all zeros and a file containing random stuf (e.g. a .tar.gz or ZIP file). You should clearly see a difference in transfer speeds when lzo is enabled or disabled.
You make a good point, and I understand I have to expect 'less' compression from the VPN compared to scp. The experiment you suggest is exactly what I tested as well on different file types.
I saw that in both cases (with compression (on both ends) enabled and disabled) that transfer speeds are identical for all files (all 6 tests give the same transfer speed).
This leads me to believe even in the encryption 'enabled' situation no compression is taking place as the non compressable file would probably be transferred slightly slower and the compressable files should be noticably faster, but none of this shows.

I tried with 10 MByte files containing only zeros (best compressability), ascii only (fairly compressable), and /dev/urandom data (not compressable at all).

Any ideas?