Can't connect to vpn outside of LAN

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
coldtaco
OpenVpn Newbie

Can't connect to vpn outside of LAN

Post by coldtaco » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:57 am

I'm sure there's a million posts like these out there but I promise I tried :(

I'm running openvpn-as v2.13.1 on ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS on a RPI3B+, and I'm unable to get any pings through to the server on mobile data.

It isn't a port forwarding issue, I can access the vpn portal by visiting my public IP without specifying a port while connected to my wifi.

It isn't a firewall issue as far as I can tell. I have other ports forwarded and I'm able to reach them both in and outside of the local network.

I did specify my public IP in the admin UI under configuration -> network settings -> hostname or IP addresss.

This is my 3rd clean install, it worked the first time on the same hardware, on ubuntu 22.04 LTS with a docker image but due to reasons (something about twistd PID 1) it never restarts correctly. It never worked on my second reinstall on 22.04 so I'm trying my luck on 20.04.

If anyone could help me get it up and running it would be greatly appreciated!

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Can't connect to vpn outside of LAN

Post by openvpn_inc » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:18 pm

Hello,

The best way to get support for OpenVPN Access Server is with the link in my signature, below. Even a free-tier (2 connections) AS user can open a Support ticket

Best Regards,

DynamoX
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

coldtaco
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Can't connect to vpn outside of LAN

Post by coldtaco » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:59 pm

I'll do that thanks :)