Reserve CPU Cycles for Windows OpenVPN Service

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
eewiz
OpenVpn Newbie

Reserve CPU Cycles for Windows OpenVPN Service

Post by eewiz » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:02 am

Hello All:

I run OpenVPN server as a service on windows 10.
I also run the OpenVPN client as a service on windows 10.
The server and all of the hosts behind the server have a dedicated link to the client and all of the hosts behind the client.
That's it. One site-to-site link.
The server WAN has a 20Mbps up speed limitation.
When copying a large file from the server side to the client side I get quite close to 20Mbps, unless the server is doing something intensive.
While copying the file, if the server computer is started to converting a video, pushing the the CPU's into the 90's percent used range, the transfer speed will fall to 10 or 8 or 5Mbps.
Stop the video conversion and the transfer speed jumps right back up to 20 Mbps.

Does anyone know how to give the OpenVPN service all the CPU it may desire?
I would like the OpenVPN service to have the highest priority over anything else running on the machine.
Windows first, OpenVPN service next and then finally everything else running on the machine.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this on a windows 10 box?

Thank You

PetervdM
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Reserve CPU Cycles for Windows OpenVPN Service

Post by PetervdM » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:12 am

you might try this: https://monadblog.blogspot.com/2006/03/ ... ority.html
can't test it because i don't have such demanding processes.
creating function set-ProcessPriority works, as does "set-ProcessPriority Openvpnserv2 High" and "set-ProcessPriority Openvpnserv2 Normal"