Server side IP change

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
ridderedward
OpenVpn Newbie

Server side IP change

Post by ridderedward » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:04 am

Hi there,

I am still a beginner, so please bear with me :)

I am running a Proxmox server and using OpenVPN to access it remotely. Everything was fine when suddenly OpenVPN wouldn't connect anymore. After checking some logs, it was clear that my server was not responding to OpenVPN, which was odd because the services running on the server were still active and functioning well.

So, after some troubleshooting, I noticed that the IP address of the location where the server is had changed. Now, my new objective is to change the IP address in OpenVPN and (I think) create a new user with this IP address. But, as I am still new to all this, I have some questions:

1. Is this the proper approach?
2. Is there a guide on how to change the IP address? I have found several solutions, but I want to be completely sure, as I am currently far from the server and don't want to make any mistakes.

Thanks in advance!

Select0r72e3
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Server side IP change

Post by Select0r72e3 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:40 pm

First of you should use a dynamic dns WAN side. But if it's local ip that has changed you wanna make a static ip internally. Probable through the dhcp server on your router. Or just set an static ip to the host.

Ofc not everybody want to go the long and complicated route. But setting up an pfsense/opnsense router would be ideal
Cheers :D