Beginner question: Local network access

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
A_S
OpenVpn Newbie

Beginner question: Local network access

Post by A_S » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:12 pm

Hi

I am quite new to all this more complex setup. So apologies if this has been asked before or i've missed it somewhere in all the complex stuff I've read on the subject.

I am trying to manage access to my adobe lightroom catelogue both remotely (via openvpn) and locally directly on my NAS.

I.e I've mapped a network drive to the VPN server IP and when connecting remotely via a WAN i can access the directories on my NAS and all the files fine,no problem set up worked and ok.

What I am trying to understand is how this connection works over a LAN - i.e my computer is not connecting to those photos remotely over a WAN but i am physically sat next to the NAS in my own home - i.e the server is on the same LAN as my computer.

I don't quite get is whether the mapped network drive and open VPN is clever enough to route my traffic via the most appropriate route in these circumstances or whether it will route traffic VIA the WAN and VPN still rather than directly connecting - as obviously this will be much faster and is a most often used case for accessing said directory.

A_S
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Beginner question: Local network access

Post by A_S » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:13 pm

Hi all

Sorry just to be clear, as I haven't had a reply... posted elsewhere and maybe a better way to describe it

I just have a question about going through open VPN on my Local network (LAN) as apposed to remotely (WAN).

How does openvpn work when I am physically sitting next to my computer?

Currently I have my lightroom raw files set up as a mapped network drive in windows pointing to the VPN. So in theory when remote it goes:

My PC --> through internet to my DDNS --> through VPN on my NAS --> to NAS share with lightroom raw files

My question is - what is the routing when on the same local network?

Obviously the most efficient and quickest way to access these files locally is My PC - -> windows SMB/ Wifi to router --> into NAS -> NAS share with lightroom raw files

Is openVPN clever enough to do this?

OR

Does it still go via the DDNS and WAN? I.e putting the data transfer through the VPN?

A_S
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Beginner question: Local network access

Post by A_S » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:56 pm

surely this is a simple question someone can answer? :|