"OpenThreadToken Access is denied" from out of (almost) nowhere in the Windows GUI

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
EagleX
OpenVpn Newbie

"OpenThreadToken Access is denied" from out of (almost) nowhere in the Windows GUI

Post by EagleX » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:10 pm

Good evening everybody,

I've been using the latest version of the gui on Windows 11 Pro, fully updated, to connect to a remote server for a while, without having any problems.

I decided to checkout Tailscale today, and I've quickly noticed that every time it launches, it deletes all of my WinTun adapters - a big no no. I realize that at its core, both OpenVPN and Tailscale (Wireguard) use the same WinTun driver, and it somehow conflicts.

I deleted Tailscale and reinstalled OpenVPN, to get my adapters back.

I now have, like I always had, 2 adapters:

* One acts as a server, with a config located in "config-auto" folder, and it still works just fine.
* One acts as a client, and simply stopped working today, after that tailscale saga (And I can add and remove as many WinTun adapters - it doesn't change a thing).

The log shows nothing and the error in the gui shows: "IService > OpenThreadToken Access is denied". I'm guessing IService is the Interactive service (?).

All I could find online, with regards to this message and openvpn, is something about BitDefender, but I'm not using it, so I guess this is not it. Other than that, nada. I understand that "OpenThread" has something to do with Windows application coding, but that's out of my realm.

I tried reinstalling so many times, running as admin, deleting the WinTun driver manually - Nada. Nothing works. I'm pulling hairs at this point, and It's not like I have too manby to begin with...

I'll happily provide any info, configs, etc.

Once again, I want to point out that prior to TailScale, everything worked just fine for months, maybe even for years.

Appreciate your help.
Noam.

RemoteOne
OpenVPN User

Re: "OpenThreadToken Access is denied" from out of (almost) nowhere in the Windows GUI

Post by RemoteOne » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:41 pm

Just a quick thought. Any chance you have system protection turned on, and got a Restore point created when the installer for Tailscale ran?