Import multiple profiles from previous OpenVPN

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
damianhlozano
OpenVpn Newbie

Import multiple profiles from previous OpenVPN

Post by damianhlozano » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:52 pm

Hello team!!!

We used to use OpenVPN Client 2.5 in Windows, we want to migrate all to the latest OpenVPN
I just installed OpenVPN Connect 3.4.2 in my Windows PC and I tried to move the previous folder with configs into the new folder (I think)
I copied the files in "c:\Program files\OpenVPN\Config" to "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\OpenVPN Connect\profiles" but I have no new profile in the OpenVPN Connect
I tried to create new profile from the gui but I need to add also the certificate, without the certificate, the VPN wont work, but when I press "Assign" to assign the previous certificate, I get a new Windows called "Certificates & Tokens", where I only have the text "No external certificates imported" and a grayed button "Confirm", and I dont have any option to upload a certificate file there.

Is there a way to import all the previous "Config" folder to the new OpenVPN? How?
If not, what do I need to do to have all my previous configs in the new OpenVPN?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Damián

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Import multiple profiles from previous OpenVPN

Post by openvpn_inc » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:12 pm

Hello Damian,

Just to clarify, these are 2 different programs, and they are not related to each other in the sense that OpenVPN Connect v3 is a continuation or newer version of OpenVPN GUI v2.6 or such. So if you're happy with OpenVPN GUI and want the latest version of that, that's at the moment bundled together with OpenVPN v2.6 for Windows.

Now if you want to switch to OpenVPN Connect, that's a different program. And it has a different approach. It's more aimed to be user-friendly and simple and to be bundled with the commercial products like Access Server and CloudConnexa, but retains compatibility with open source servers too. As one of the major differences, you can only have 1 active VPN tunnel at a time. But you can of course have multiple connection profiles that you can select from. So if this limitation is a problem for you, then you should stick to OpenVPN GUI which does support multiple simultaneous connections.

In OpenVPN Connect v3, if you want to import profiles, you'll need to use the 'import from file' option and select the profile you want to import. You can't just dump them in a directory. There is a command line guide that can explain how to automate this import process on the command line however, so if you have a lots of profiles to import, then it can be automated.

If a connection profile does not have a client certificate, then that needs to be either provided by having it in the certificate store, or if the connection profile can operate entirely without a client certificate (which is rare but we've seen this weird type of configuration), it needs to be adjusted in the connection profile itself to indicate that it does not need a client connection profile at all.

Command line options for OpenVPN Connect v3: https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... n-connect/

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

damianhlozano
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Import multiple profiles from previous OpenVPN

Post by damianhlozano » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:38 pm

Hello, thanks for your answer!
I did not know these are different programs, I thought OpenVPN Connect were the latest version of the same program. How could I know that?
My first experience with OpenVPN Connect was unsatisfactory, so I will forget about this.

Regards,
Damián