Regression with OpenVPN Connect 3.4.3?

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
joewiz
OpenVpn Newbie

Regression with OpenVPN Connect 3.4.3?

Post by joewiz » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:59 am

Hi all,

This is my first post here, so please forgive any n00b moves I might make. Many thanks for this great product.

Since updating from OpenVPN Connect v3.4.2 to v3.4.3 on two macOS machines (an Intel iMac running macOS Ventura 13.5 and an Intel MacBook running the Sonoma Public Beta), I suddenly was unable to connect to my OpenVPN server. The initial symptom that I experienced was seeing this error dialog when trying to connect (see screenshot below):
Connection Failed
There was an error attempting to connect to the selected server.
Error message: option_error: sorry, unsupported options present in configuration:
UNKNOWN/UNSUPPORTED OPTIONS
Please refer to connection logs for more details.
My first attempt at a fix was to run the v3.4.2 installer. This didn't solve the problem, but the symptom changed. The spinner spun endlessly, with no error message or log entries.

Scanning the forums, I didn't see any other reports of this, but one post from someone who was encountering issues and was in search of a way to completely uninstall OpenVPN caught my eye: viewtopic.php?t=35645:
I am having various technical issues, and I want to try resetting all the settings and configurations saved on this Mac. How do I go about doing that? I tried removing and reinstalling the client, but everything is still saved, such as Certificates.

The solution I found was to run the uninstaller in the Applications folder. It is located at:

/Applications/OpenVPN Connect/Uninstall OpenVPN Connect.app
Having run the uninstaller, I re-ran the v3.4.2 installer and now can successfully connect to my OpenVPN server.

I thought I'd pass this on in case anyone else experienced it. I'd be happy to provide more info or test new builds if this could help with the issue. A colleague running v3.4.3 did not experience the problem (and she's also on an Intel Mac, connecting to the same server), so this doesn't seem to be universal.

Best,
Joe

constantin.puscasu
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Regression with OpenVPN Connect 3.4.3?

Post by constantin.puscasu » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:28 am

Hi @joewiz,

I have the exact same issue, but I don't find anywhere on the internet the client version 3.4.2 to download.
Can you please share the installer for this version?

joewiz
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by joewiz » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:15 pm

Hi @constantin.puscasu,

Yes, the direct download URL for v3.4.2 is:

https://swupdate.openvpn.net/downloads/ ... signed.dmg

I reconstructed it from its Homebrew Cask.

Best,
Joe

gormers
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by gormers » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:50 am

I had a very similar issue here. Running Ventura 13.5 on 2019 Pro. Did not get an error message and was able to connect to vpn, but the connection started to get poor immediately and certain websites would not load, with seemingly some dns issues for some websites.
Was able to get it running again by reverting to 3.4.2. Had to completely uninstall to solve the spinning issue like described above.

Thanks a lot for the description! Ended up installing the cask above through homebrew, using
brew install --cask https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-ca ... connect.rb

joewiz
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by joewiz » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:02 pm

Unfortunately OpenVPN Connect 3.4.4, released on August 31, does not solve this problem.