Will OpenVPN do this?

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
stevegh
OpenVpn Newbie

Will OpenVPN do this?

Post by stevegh » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:02 pm

Hi,

I'm setting up a windows server at home for when I'm travelling. My primary needs are to upload and download files from my home NAS and also use various steaming services as if I'm i the UK as I was recently in the US and couldn't access my usual ones from there.

Would the community addition of openVPN allow me to do that? If so could anyone point me in the direction of the relevant info?

many thanks.

vnpenguin
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Will OpenVPN do this?

Post by vnpenguin » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:29 pm

Yes, OpenVPN allows you to connect to HOME lan from outside. And then, you can go to any LAN's ressources, as your NAS.

upperd
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Will OpenVPN do this?

Post by upperd » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:57 am

so to build on this question.

say I set up open VPN on my router at home. i see that one like a nighthawk has support?

I see how one would connect with a pc on the road using a client tool

But would I be able to say connect my router from my lake home to my work home router?

this would mean not having to do vpn for devices just do it one time on the router? or is there some other way to do it like create a pc with vpn that a router could be attached to if thats possible?