assign static IP to client while in Cluster mode

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
shiwen
OpenVpn Newbie

assign static IP to client while in Cluster mode

Post by shiwen » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:32 am

Static ip addresses of clients cannot be set in the access server cluster
I want to know how to set static ip in a cluster environment
You can set this parameter only when exiting the cluster

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: assign static IP to client while in Cluster mode

Post by openvpn_inc » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:41 pm

Hello shiwen,

Sorry but that is currently simply not supported. Setting a static IP only really makes sense if you want to do routing. And when you do routing, you must ensure that for the different nodes you use separate subnets. That part is supported, but the problem is then that a static IP would need to be set for each subnet of each node. Which means a lot of things you need to set and then you still don't end up with one static IP, but multiple - a different one for each node.

Access Server does not do a mesh network where the same network is used all over the cluster and any node can be used to access it. These are separate networks and separate subnets.

Given these facts, I don't think introducing static IP addressing would even be helpful. Because you would probably use it to have a single IP that you can use to recognize or contact a particular VPN client. But with different nodes needing different subnets, or else routing won't work, you would need to set a static IP for each node in a cluster. This just isn't practical.

I hope that explains that.

If you want a static IP that is always the same no matter which node you connect to, consider switching to CloudConnexa.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support