I can access server from LAN, but not WAN?!

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
leovpn
OpenVpn Newbie

I can access server from LAN, but not WAN?!

Post by leovpn » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:43 am

For some reason I cannot for the life of me get my OpenVPN server to respond to any requests from outside my LAN. At all, not a squeak in the logs. I use the site canyouseeme.org to check if ports are open, and no matter what port I set OpenVPN to, it reports that the port is closed.

If I shut down OpenVPN and instead launch a Minecraft server on the same port, the port shows as open, so that's how I know it's not a port forwarding issue. It can't be; there are a gazillion ports open to this computer already, both TCP and UDP, and all of it works fine. It's just OpenVPN that refuses to bind to WAN for some reason. From inside LAN it works like a charm, it's just no WAN access...

This has never happened to me before... ports have always been either open or closed... but this time it seems to be somewhere in between. I tried setting the listen address to "0.0.0.0" which normally fixes this exact issue with other programs, but it did not work. I even removed the "local" line altogether, still doesn't work. Can somebody please take pity on me and lend me a hand? I'm suffering bad here... SEO is killing me I can't find ANYTHING helpful on the internet anymore