Migrating a server

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
tkalfaoglu
OpenVpn Newbie

Migrating a server

Post by tkalfaoglu » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:22 am

I have two almost-identical Linux servers. One of them is running openvpn server (openvpn-2.4.12-1.el8.x86_64)
and I would like to move this server to the other machine. Their keys, ca, etc. files are stored in /etc/openvpn/2.0/keys..

Is it enough to just copy the /etc/openvpn along with all subdirs and launching the new server?
I did that, copied the entire /etc/openvpn directory, but it seems there is more to it. The VPN clients are unable to connect to the new server..
getting this in the (new) server logs (I edited some fields for privacy)..

Code: Select all

TLS: Initial packet from [AF_INET]19.62.15.11:56625, sid=f72da6b5 766548bb
VERIFY ERROR: depth=0, error=CRL signature failure: C=TR, ST=TR, L=Izmir, O=XXX, OU=XXX, CN=XXXXXX, name=XXXX, emailAddress=XXX@XXXXX, serial=3
OpenSSL: error:1417C086:SSL routines:tls_process_client_certificate:certificate verify failed
TLS_ERROR: BIO read tls_read_plaintext error
TLS Error: TLS object -> incoming plaintext read error
TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
What shall I do?

tkalfaoglu
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Migrating a server

Post by tkalfaoglu » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:55 am

PS: I don't have easy-rsa on that server
I checked the server.conf file, and ALL the keys mentioned there are under /etc/openvpn which I copied entirely to the new server..

tkalfaoglu
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Migrating a server

Post by tkalfaoglu » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:57 pm

No answers. I thought this would have been a FAQ item..

no one knows?