Issues with internet access

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
Pivax
OpenVpn Newbie

Issues with internet access

Post by Pivax » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:18 pm

Hi,
So I created a new OpenVPN AS on Azure with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS from the market place to replace an existing 18.04 LTS server also on Azure from the marketplace.
I backed up the old server and restored it to the new server, disassociated the public IP from the old and associated it to the new server and it is accessible online.
Users can connect to the VPN fine, but unless I set the routing option "Should client Internet traffic be routed through the VPN?" to "No" users are unable to get any internet access. I have even set it to "Do not alter clients' DNS server settings" and "Have clients use specific DNS servers" however they still have issues connecting to any web page unless it is Google search engines.
I have a case raised with support, but they are unable to confirm yet what the issue is so want to raise this here to see if I can get this resolved faster.

Fadim
OpenVPN User

Re: Issues with internet access

Post by Fadim » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:26 am

I think you could try checking the subnet configuration for your new server. Ensure that the subnet has the correct routing setup to allow internet access for connected VPN clients. Double-checking this configuration might help resolve the issue.

Pivax
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Issues with internet access

Post by Pivax » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:17 am

Fadim wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:26 am
I think you could try checking the subnet configuration for your new server. Ensure that the subnet has the correct routing setup to allow internet access for connected VPN clients. Double-checking this configuration might help resolve the issue.
Im still learning this a bit, how can I check the subnet routing for this platform on Ubuntu?