LTE + OpenVPN + Portmapper

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
Pfann
OpenVpn Newbie

LTE + OpenVPN + Portmapper

Post by Pfann » Mon May 15, 2023 8:18 am

Hello. Im trying to make my LTE Connection accessable via the internet.

What i have is a Vserver with a IpV4 and Openvpn access Server.

If i connect my PC with the LTE and connect to the access server my Pc is not reachable.

So the Access Server is not a portmapper?

( Germany LTE )

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: LTE + OpenVPN + Portmapper

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue May 16, 2023 10:46 am

Hello Pfann,

So if I understand correctly you have an OpenVPN Access Server running somewhere on the Internet with a public IPv4 address. You want to make it so that when you access that public IP address from anywhere on the Internet, that that request ends up at your PC that has an LTE internet connection.

To do so, go to the admin web interface of the Access Server and go to User Permissions. Look up the user account that your PC with LTE is using to establish a VPN connection to the Access Server. In there enable the DMZ functionality. Type in the IP address followed by a port. For example if your OpenVPN Access Server's public IP is 123.45.67.89 and you want to open port TCP 80, type: 123.45.67.89:tcp/80

Save settings and update running servers. Now when port TCP 80 is addresses on 123.45.67.89, it will be redirected to your PC with LTE connection.

Some caveats; the IP you specify here must be an IP on the Access Server itself. If this is on Amazon AWS for example you have to use the internal IP of the VPC because that's the IP that the Access Server really has - the public IP is just NATted to that. Also whatever service you're running on your PC with LTE must be configured to listen on the VPN interface. And firewalls must be adjusted to let this traffic through.

See also this guide;
https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... ss-server/

Good luck,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

Pfann
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Pfann » Tue May 16, 2023 8:36 pm

Hello and thank you for your reply.

'Well if i connect my Homeroot with the vpn it takes this wanted Ip adress.

Only if i plug out the DSL internet cable and add USB tethering ( LTE internet ) then it wont work. Of casue i added DMZ with the testport. This is great working with my Main internet but not with the LTE

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Thu May 18, 2023 5:49 pm

Hello Pfann,

So if I understand you correctly, it is all working exactly as it should when you use your normal Internet connection at home. But it does not work when you use LTE. That would appear to be a problem with the LTE connection. What exactly are the symptoms - is the VPN client not connecting?

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

Pfann
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Pfann » Thu May 18, 2023 6:55 pm

The symtomes is that my servers are not reachable ( LTE use the VPN ip adress all seems work but its not working )

i figured out that my LTE dont have ipv6 maybe this is a problem? the ipv4 is just a fake ip on lte

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri May 19, 2023 2:59 pm

Hello Pfann,

That information is not very helpful, sorry. Also what is a fake IP?

Is the VPN tunnel actually working? Can you ping over it? Do you get errors when establish the VPN tunnel? Are the IP addresses of your LTE connection perhaps in the same range as your VPN IP address range, causing a collision? These are some things to check.

Good luck,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.

Pfann
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Pfann » Fri May 19, 2023 10:30 pm

with fake ip it means like DS-Lite the ipv4 is not a real one and can not be pinged

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Sat May 20, 2023 12:30 pm

Hello again,

If your LTE gives you only IPv6, that shouldn't be an issue. IPv4 traffic should be forwarded over IPv6 to some system at your ISP and it in turn should send those IPv4 packets out on the Internet. Since it's an outgoing VPN connection, that should 'just work'. And if the VPN tunnel is indeed active, apparently it does work. What goes through the VPN tunnel is normally IPv4 and that should work as well then, in theory.

Now you might be dealing with an MTU issue or a blockade at the ISP for VPN connections. I just don't know and I can't tell from my end. But if the VPN tunnel establishes, it should be working just fine and traffic should be going through it. You can try pinging through the VPN tunnel with different size packets to see if MTU is a problem here or not. You can also try to contact your ISP and explain the problem to them, they might have some tips.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.

Pfann
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Pfann » Sat May 27, 2023 9:59 am

hello. sorry for the late reply.

the USB tethering isnt working.

If i use my Fritzbox (router) then it works