Excessive Generation of Temporary JSON Files in OpenVPN Connect and Inquiry about Uninstallation

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
StefanVlad27
OpenVpn Newbie

Excessive Generation of Temporary JSON Files in OpenVPN Connect and Inquiry about Uninstallation

Post by StefanVlad27 » Thu May 25, 2023 7:11 am

Hello everyone,

I'm facing an issue with OpenVPN Connect and I would greatly appreciate your assistance in resolving it. The objective of my machine is to automatically connect to a client's VPN in order to access their SQL Server. To achieve this, we have OpenVPN running as a system service. However, we have 5 services running, namely: OpenVPNService, OpenVPNServiceInteractive, ovpnhelper_service, OVPNConnectorService, and agent_ovpnconnect. Additionally, we have two installed applications, OpenVPN GUI and OpenVPN Connect.

Recently, I have noticed an excessive generation of temporary JSON files in the directory "c:\users\administrator\appdata\roaming\openvpn connect," and I suspect that the issue might be related to the OpenVPN Connect application. Although these temporary files are continuously being generated according to the Resource Monitor, I am unable to locate them manually in the mentioned folder.

Since I suspect that OpenVPN Connect may be the cause of this problem, I would like to inquire if it would be possible to uninstall the application from the system without affecting the VPN tunnel and the running services. If anyone has experience in this matter or can provide any guidance, I would be immensely grateful.

I appreciate your attention and thank you in advance for any assistance or suggestions you can provide.

Thank you!!! :)

Stefan Vlad

Fadim
OpenVPN User

Re: Excessive Generation of Temporary JSON Files in OpenVPN Connect and Inquiry about Uninstallation

Post by Fadim » Thu May 25, 2023 8:05 am

Hi Stefan,
Temporary JSON files shouldn't be created excessively, which indeed indicates some unusual behavior with OpenVPN Connect. Before proceeding with uninstallation, I'd recommend you try clearing the cache or updating the software if there's an update available.

However, if you're still inclined to uninstall OpenVPN Connect, it shouldn't affect your VPN tunnel as long as the OpenVPNService is still running. Do keep in mind that you'll lose the GUI for managing the VPN connections.
If you decide to proceed with the uninstallation, make sure to back up any important configurations beforehand. And, as always, proceed with caution.

Hope this helps!

StefanVlad27
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Excessive Generation of Temporary JSON Files in OpenVPN Connect and Inquiry about Uninstallation

Post by StefanVlad27 » Thu May 25, 2023 8:23 am

Thank you very much for your response and assistance, Fadim. Based on your answer, we will make a better decision to fix our issue.

Have a nice day!

Fadim
OpenVPN User

Post by Fadim » Thu May 25, 2023 12:12 pm

StefanVlad27 wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 8:23 am

Have a nice day!
You too! Happy to help!