Minor version upgrade procedures

Support forum for Easy-RSA certificate management suite.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

ftscevans
OpenVpn Newbie

Minor version upgrade procedures

Post by ftscevans » Wed May 17, 2023 9:14 pm

Good afternoon,

I preface this by saying, I'm new to this world, and am still trying to catch up & learn the lingo. I have far too many years of experience in a help desk, Windows GUI, paid enterprise app environment - but I've only begun to scratch the surface on Linux OSes and Open Source software in the last 9 months (and I *don't* code or have aspirations of becoming a dev either, I'm just a "dumb ol' ops guy" and no more). Because of what I'm accustomed to, I am having a tremendously difficult time "putting the pieces together" with scarcer documentation with a higher assumption of the reader's pre-existing knowledge. So if I sound dumb, that is why, and I apologize proactively.

Now: I have EasyRSA-3.0.8 installed on an Ubuntu 22.04 LTS server. The underlying OpenVPN install is v2.5.7.

Goal: I would like to upgrade EasyRSA to release 3.0.9 or newer to take advantage of the rewritten certificate "renew" feature.

I've read through https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... sa-upgrade but it appears to be 95% oriented towards the V2-to-V3 upgrade process, with the remaining 5% pertaining to a 3.0.6-specific issue.

In a general sense, what the best practices are to perform a minor run-of-the-mill subversion update?

What should I back up first? Are there specific tasks I should perform to prevent failure, etc.?

Is it as simple as running an apt update in-place without modification? Do I need to uninstall 3.0.8 and then treat it as a new installation?

Thank you for your time & ongoing efforts maintaining this. :)