Routers are bandwidth killers!

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Nico68
OpenVpn Newbie

Routers are bandwidth killers!

Post by Nico68 » Thu May 11, 2023 7:09 am

I run an OpenVPN server on my TrueNAS system since many years. I never was completly happy of the global performance and decided to check what's going on. The question is, why do I have only 3MB/s when connecting from outside of my house.

The configuration is very easy:
OpenVPN server --> Google Wifi with NAT rule --> Orange ISP Livebox Router with DMZ rule --> 1Gb fiber

Test 1: transfert a file from my Truenas server to my PC --> speed 100MB/s (which is OK for me)
Test 2: transfert same file from OpenVPN client inside the local network --> speed 50MB/s (which is OK regarding the small Server CPU)
Test 3: transfert same file from OpenVPN client connected between Google Wifi and ISP router --> speed 15MB/s (which is small considering there is only a NAT rule to run!)
Test 4: transfert same file from OpenVPN client over 5G network --> speed 3MB/s (which is very poor!!!!!!)

Do you think the result is normal?
Anything I could improve to increase the bandwidth?

It is very annoying to my use now and I search a way to puch up the bandwidth

your comments and experience is very welcome

thanks you all
Nico

Fadim
OpenVPN User

Re: Routers are bandwidth killers!

Post by Fadim » Mon May 15, 2023 12:22 pm

Based on the information you provided, it appears that the bandwidth limitation is primarily observed when connecting to your OpenVPN server from outside your house.Check the upload speed of your internet connection at the location where your TrueNAS system is hosted. A slow upload speed can limit the performance of your OpenVPN server. Ensure that your ISP provides sufficient upload bandwidth for the desired speed.Also you mentioned that the file transfer speed within the local network is around 50MB/s, which is acceptable considering the server's CPU. However, it's worth checking if the server's hardware, especially the CPU and network interface, can handle higher speeds.By examining these factors and making appropriate adjustments, you may be able to improve the bandwidth and overall performance of your OpenVPN server.