Unable to Connect with Windows Client

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
enilned78
OpenVpn Newbie

Unable to Connect with Windows Client

Post by enilned78 » Fri May 05, 2023 8:08 pm

Hello All,

I recently set up an instance of OpenVPN on my Synology router, and I have successfully connected to it with the OpenVPN Connect client for iOS and MacOS. I used a .ovpn configuration file to successfully configure each of those setups. However, when I attempt to connect via the Windows client, using the exact same configuration file, I receive the error message shown below. Any help towards correcting this issue would be greatly appreciated. I have tried using Windows OpenVPN Connect client versions 3.3.7.2979 and 2.7.1.111.
Thank you!
The error message I receive is as follows:

Connection Failed
There was an error attempting to connect to the selected server.
Error message: Peer certificate verification failure

enilned78
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Unable to Connect with Windows Client

Post by enilned78 » Sat May 06, 2023 10:04 pm

I have attempted to use the same .ovpn configuration file on Windows 11 on one computer and on Windows 10 on different computer, but I receive the same error message on both operating systems.

Anasabdullah
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Anasabdullah » Mon May 08, 2023 7:08 am

Check the server settings in the .ovpn file. Ensure that the server settings are correct and that the server is reachable.

enilned78
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by enilned78 » Mon May 08, 2023 2:29 pm

The exact same .ovpn file works perfectly on iOS and MacOS, and I am able to connect without issue on those platforms. That leads me to believe that the server settings are correct and the server is reachable. There must be something wrong with how the Windows clients are interpreting the .ovpn file.