OpenVPN Client on iPad IOS 16.3.1

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
ejwjohn
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN Client on iPad IOS 16.3.1

Post by ejwjohn » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:41 pm

Hi,

I am new to using OpenVPN but trying to set up a simple server on a Raspberry with remote access from IOS devices.

I am having a few issues with the connection it appears to work Ok if I select UDP protocol when I set up the OpenVPN server on the RPi but when I change to TCP i cannot even establish a connection, looking at the RPI the OpenVPN service appears to be LISTENING on the correct port 1194 but that is it

Interestingly, i have TPlink Deco X50 routers and they have recently updated the firmware to allow for the OpenVPN to be configured within the router, which allows the router to "enable" specific devices connected to it to use VPN as opposed to the normal coms route, and when that is used in TCP protocol mode it fails also and in the same way as the IOS device?.

Is there anything i need to do to get the iPad working? the reason i am trying TCP is that the TPlink support resource want me to try TCP when i use the Deco router as the provider of the Client utility for the IOS device.

Thanks for your assistance.
JohnW

ejwjohn
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN Client on iPad IOS 16.3.1

Post by ejwjohn » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:51 pm

Hello,

I suppose on reflection should have asked is the OpenVPN server supported on the RPI Yes or No.

I have read several documents that tend to conflict with one another on this point, so perhaps all my issues are with the Server implementation.

Thanks

ejwjohn
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN Client on iPad IOS 16.3.1

Post by ejwjohn » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:52 pm

Interesting way to deal with a genuine newbie on the forum, who is trying to learn

Obviously one of the Moderators moved my post as i inadvertently posed in the wrong area...apologies.

But then there's a subtle hint to read a huge docment before raising any questions, i thought that OpenVPN was a package that yes was very capable but for those of us that needed to get "up and running" fairly simple and without going through the in-depth technical areas of the solution was a possibility...

So thanks to the moderator ...... but i am now none the wiser