Disable "Save password" checkbox

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
cpaixao
OpenVpn Newbie

Disable "Save password" checkbox

Post by cpaixao » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:48 pm

Dear community,

I'm finding a hard time trying to disable the "Save password" checkbox

Image.

The issue is that in the old gen client (2.x) I used to achieve that by by adding the DWORD "disable_save_password" = 1 in REGEDIT. However, that doesn't seem to work in the OpenVPN Connect (3.X) version. I've seen this same question asked by many others over the internet, but apparently no one has found or at least disclosed with a solution so far, then I thought that asking here in the official forum would be useful. Is there a way to prevent the user from saving passwords on the OpenVPN Connect client?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Disable "Save password" checkbox

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:46 pm

Hi,

At the moment, you cannot disable that. There is already a feature request to have an option/parameter to disable that, hence, on future releases, it will be available.

Regards,
.\kionci
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

elwood
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by elwood » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:21 pm

The registry key detailed on this page works with OpenVPN 2.6.1 community edition.

Elwood

IWant2Know
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by IWant2Know » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:38 pm

Below it is noted as a 'feature request' in August 2022. I have read several other community postings dating back to 2012 with a similar note: 'feature request.'

Will this feature ever become available?

We are at least 1 year after the post below and many years after the prior posts.

From a security perspective, this is a great 'hole' in a VPN, not due to the encryption, but due to the ability for a hacker to take control of a workstation, click on the OpenVPN client and have direct access without a challenge. We are implementing MFA, but two challenges are better than one.

The work arounds thus far have focused on updating a registry key. This is a non-answer in so much as one has to get to the remote computer and run a script at an elevated prompt. Or update the configuration files with an added script. 1 or 2 computers: ok, 20+: unmanageable.

There are many 'good' flags in the OpenVPN server-side configuration that allow one to toggle various client features, thus I am confused after the number of years this feature has been discussed it has not made it to reality.

Thanks in advance.