No internet connection after disconnecting from OpenVPN server

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
fkarausch2@gmail.com
OpenVpn Newbie

No internet connection after disconnecting from OpenVPN server

Post by fkarausch2@gmail.com » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:05 pm

I'm using the last version of the "OpenVPN Connect" for mac and I'm having some issues.
Once connected to an OpenVPN server (server running from Asus GTX-10000 router) successfully, after disconnecting from it, the whole internet access of my mac (Mac mini M2 pro) is not working anymore. In order to recover the Internet connection I have to turn off the WiFi and/or ethernet and turn them back on. Could you please help me with this issue?
Thanks!!
Fred

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: No internet connection after disconnecting from OpenVPN server

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:22 pm

Hello,

It's possible you have conflicting routes. Do you know what subnets you have locally on your network where the mac is, and the subnets that the VPN server is pushing? If not, the client side logs would at least show what the server is pushing.

It can be the case that because the remote and local subnets are the same, things end up getting broken. This can be resolved by ensuring the subnets are not the same.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

fkarausch2@gmail.com
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by fkarausch2@gmail.com » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:15 am

Thanks Johan !!
Could you please tell me how I could be sure that the subnets are not the same. BTY, this issue is happening only on my Macs, when I'm using the same app from my iPhone (using the my same internet connection), I don't have this issue.

Fred

lonetree
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by lonetree » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:57 pm

I'm also facing the same issue as fkarausch2@gmail.com

On my mac, I will lost connection to the internet once I disconnected from OpenVPN server. With my Andriod phone I can connect and disconnect without any issue.

What could be the issue?

fkarausch2@gmail.com
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by fkarausch2@gmail.com » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:00 pm

good news and bad news.

After removing the application, re-configured my VPN server on the Asus router and exporting the new ovpn file config. everything started to work as expected (the issue that was loosening internet after disconnecting is gone!!!!) :D :D :D :D
BUT :? :? :? :o :o :o
now the connection is"painfully" slow, even connecting using the same connection at home (testing new VPN server from my same home connection) the speed is suffering a lot (~70% slower)

Could somebody please help me with this !!!

fkarausch2@gmail.com
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by fkarausch2@gmail.com » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:12 pm

to give you some info about my Open VPN server:
Using:
Interface Type: TUN
Protocol:UDP
Respond to DNS No
Encryption cipher: AES-128-CBC
HMAC Authentication: SHA 384
Compression: Adaptive
Authentication Mode: TLS
Extra HMAC Authentication: Disable
VPN Subnet/Netmask: 10.8.0.0/255.255.255.0 ( my internal sub net 198.168.1.0/255.255.255.0)
Push LAN to Clients: Yes
Direct clients to redirect internet trafic; Yes
Manage Client-Specific Options: Yes
Allow Client n<-> Client: Yes

Thanks !!!

spartanjack
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by spartanjack » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:22 pm

I am having the exact same issue. When disconnecting from the VPN, my internet doesn't work. Using the terminal to ping Google, I get the response ping: sendto: No route to host. If I turn my WiFi off then on, everything works again.

This also affects other users who use the same application and config file. Here is the ovpn config file I use, downloaded from AWS and with important details #--REDACTED--:

Code: Select all

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote #--REDACTED--
dhcp-option DNS #--REDACTED--
remote-random-hostname
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
remote-cert-tls server
cipher AES-256-GCM
verb 3
<ca>
#--REDACTED--
</ca>

reneg-sec 0
redirect-gateway def1

lonetree
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by lonetree » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:28 pm

Been waiting for a good solution but seems that only the 3 of us are facing this issue and no one seems to help. :-(

jenneking
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jenneking » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:27 am

I'm having this issue on my MacBook (M1) as well. I'm having to remove plist files and basically having to reset my WiFi (forget the network, etc). Basically what is in this link: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... om-macbook

I can connect to other wifi networks without an issue.

I can log out as my user and in as an Admin and connect to the same wifi without a problem.

Once I connect to OpenVPN to my office network, and it disconnects, my WiFi is basically dead. It will say it's connected, but the bandwidth is completely choked down to kbs.

I just started to have this experience in the last week. I've narrowed it to the OpenVPN client and something happening after a disconnect from that client. I saw this post. So, I don't have a solution, but thought I'd post what I know so far.

Thanks

jenneking
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jenneking » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:37 am

Quick update: Turning Wifi Off, then On again did seem to clear something. This worked to restore my WiFi with normal speeds. Lot faster than resetting. Found that from another VPN client help guide:

https://www.expressvpn.com/support/trou ... ected-vpn/

jenneking
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jenneking » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:54 pm

UPDATE: I have an eero wifi mesh and turned on WPA3 in the labs (under Discover, eero Labs Beta - Activate WPA3 slider to on). This made my WiFi work again. I'll monitor this, but this may be the trick.

Macbook Apple M1 Pro - Ventura 13.2.1

Narrowed my VPN client out as I seemed to have issues when my device went to sleep regardless of connecting to VPN.

Mer1iX
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Mer1iX » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:28 pm

I face this issue too. M1 PRO.
I've got this .ovpn configuration generated from TP-LINK router

client
dev tun
proto tcp
float
nobind
cipher AES-128-CBC
comp-lzo adaptive
resolv-retry infinite
remote-cert-tls server
persist-key
persist-tun

eddy-andrewshoell
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by eddy-andrewshoell » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:04 pm

We are having similar issues when connecting using the Mac GUI client, or the AWS Client, but not when using the Linux command line client. (Connecting the AWS Client VPN Endpoints)

Also we are using the same workaround of either restarting the entire machine, or cycling the ethernet/wifi.

Note: when using the mac client (but not the AWS or Linux Client) we have to add a random subdomain to the remote (it doesn't seem like the remote-random-hostname is being respected)

vpn.ovpn

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote cvpn-endpoint-totallyreallocation.prod.clientvpn.us-west-2.amazonaws.com 443
remote-random-hostname
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
remote-cert-tls server
cipher AES-256-GCM
verb 3
<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

</ca>

reneg-sec 0
cert /totally/real/location/vpn.crt
key /totally/real/location/vpn.key

eddy-andrewshoell
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by eddy-andrewshoell » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:48 am

for what it's worth, my issue was a client vpn route table for 0.0.0.0/0 while expecting a split tunnel (the cli version cleans up after itself, the gui doesn't), removing that client route (actually making it split tunnel) worked.

IndyCarSuperFan
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by IndyCarSuperFan » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:49 pm

I am also having this issue. Brand new MacBook Air with M2 and latest OpenVPN client. Does not happen on my other MacBook Pro.

funk_drum
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by funk_drum » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:31 pm

What are the other options for this? I installed the newest OpenVPN client for Mac M1 chip. I was able to connect to my vpn, but I lost all internet access on my Mac. I disconnected from vpn and still can't connect. I uninstalled the client, still can't connect. What else can I try?

lonetree
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by lonetree » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:29 am

Seems that this thread is having some activity.

I'll chip in with some of my tests so far. Perhaps you guys can also share on the type of devices you are using, e.g the router providing OpenVPN services, the client devices etc.

For my case, I have tested with the following configs and all yield the same result.

The router I am using for providing OpenVPN service is TP-link Archer AX50 v1.0
Client devices I have used to test so far are, iMac (intel), Macbook Pro (intel) and android phone.

Scenario #1
Connect to OpenVPN server with iMac and Macbook Pro, Android phone through fibre internet connection (ASUS router). Out of these 3 devices, both iMac and Macbook Pro lost connection after disconnecting from the OpenVPN server.

At first I thought maybe this is due to ASUS router, therefore

Scenario #2
Turn Android phone to become wifi hotspot, connect to OpenVPN Server with iMac and Macbook Pro through hotspot. Disconnect from OpenVPN server, iMac and Macbook Pro lost connection.

The above 2 scenario are tested with OpenVPN connect app downloaded from OpenVPN website. So to narrow down that this is not caused by the app, I downloaded Tunnelblick on both my mac devices, connected them to the OPenVPN server, disconnected from the VPN server, both mac devices lost connection thereafter. I'll have to manually restart Network to resume internet connection.

Anyone has the same experience as me?

openVpnDiscussion
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by openVpnDiscussion » Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:29 am

Well, my issue is related to the open VPN server running on the router (Archer AX6000).

1. I have successfully configured the open VPN client (OpenVPN Connect) on the mac (Monterey 12.6.6) by uploading the .ovpn file provided by the router. Before connecting with the OpenVPN Connect the internet works.
2. After connecting to the "VPN profile" the connection is active, packets flowing, and the internet available.
3. Then, after disconnecting the OpenVPN Connect, there is no internet connection anymore. An attempt to reconnect with the OpenVPN Connect fails with "Network is unavailable. Pls try to connect later (yes) with active network." It takes hard reboot of the mac to regain internet connection.
4. The same sequence of events repeated on my Windows 10 PC (connected to the same router) works, no problem
5. I think many people's problem posted here may be related/reduced to the same issue: inability to reconnect after OpenVPN Connect connection is disconnected

As the OpenVPN server runs on my router the DNS address is local: 192.168.0.1, which I think is correct, but is it?

Any ideas?

Thanks

lonetree
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by lonetree » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:02 am

@openVpnDiscussion

Thanks for testing on Windows machine, as I don't have a Windows I am not sure if it works. I do know that Android works.

Now, the mystery lies on 2 possibilities. Either the TP-link routers or Mac OS.

Previously when I was using Asus router, I did not face this issue at all, it was after replacing my Asus with Tp-link then I faced with this.

I reported this issue to TP-link last 2 weeks but they were unable to give a solution.

I think I'll do another experiment with other router and see if this happens again.

unwarlike5525
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by unwarlike5525 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:04 am

Suffering from same problem with OpenVPN 2.6.5. TP-Link AX3000 as VPN server. Added data-ciphers for compatability. Subscribing to the thread for a solution.

Redacted config:

client
dev tun
proto udp
float
cipher AES-128-CBC
comp-lzo adaptive
resolv-retry infinite
remote-cert-tls server
persist-key
persist-tun