OpenVPN client not working on Windows only

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
Tarasin
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN client not working on Windows only

Post by Tarasin » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:25 pm

Hi!

I configured an OpenVPN server on my LAN to access my NAS anywhere anytime. However, for a reason that I can't figure out, my VPN keeps getting server poll timeout on Windows (tested on Windows 10 and Windows 11). What I don't understand is that it works perfectly on my Android smartphone as well as on my laptop using Linux. However, on the same laptop, when I'm using Windows, it can't connect (and it's the same on my friend's laptop).

What I've tested so far on the client:
- Disabling firewall (still not working)
- Enabling OpenVPN Connect through firewall (it was already like that finally)
- Using my smartphone data to access VPN (no matter what network I'm using, it's always the same, the laptop can't connect and the smartphone works perfectly)
- Using different clients (so far, I've used OpenVPN Connect and OpenVPN GUI)

What I've tested so far on the server:
- Changing the server port (1194 works by default and trying to set it up on 443 stops the server which can't restart until I changed the port again)
- Using a different topology (I've tried SUBNET for a long time and recently tried NET30 (which is the current). Both have the same behavior (working on smartphone and Linux laptop but not on Windows laptop)

Other details:
- My server runs on TrueNAS Core (setup via the web GUI)
- I have a DDNS pointing to my LAN IP address and it properly resolves to my public IP address even on Windows (so not a DNS problem)
- When I'm in my LAN, the Windows laptop shows a working VPN connection (when I would have expected packet collision)

Can anyone help me understand the problem please?

binop
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN client not working on Windows only

Post by binop » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:34 pm

I have the exact same problem. Have you been able to figure it out?

bcanet
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by bcanet » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:21 pm

I have the exact same problem also.

viewtopic.php?t=35495

Tarasin
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Tarasin » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:53 am

I did not check recently with the new OpenVPN Connect update, but otherwise, I've still not found any solution. If you find out how to fix that, please let me know :)

bcanet
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by bcanet » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:43 am

Tarasin, hopefully this will help your connection issue as well.

I have been able to resolve my issue and connect through windows. The things that I changed are when exporting client I enabled the check box for Legacy Client because I am only using OpenVPN 2.4.12 as mentioned in my thread above when I tried updating to 2.6 it wouldn't connect to an older firmware Netgate box and I am waiting until I am on site to upgrade it. Also when exporting the client under Client Export instead of exporting the Config File Only under Bundled Configurations I used Most Clients under Inline Configurations. This solved my issues and am now able to connect with my Windows 7 computer.

Tarasin
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Tarasin » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:47 am

I read your original post to better understand your solution. However, as I'm using OpenVPN through TrueNAS Core, I can't find this option (it seems I can only download client config). I checked a couple options that could be related to your solution, but none seems to fix the problem or go in the good direction. Still, thank you!