Disable IPv6 in OpenVPN Cloud

Next-generation cloud-hosted OpenVPN business solution.
awilsonyoko
OpenVpn Newbie

Disable IPv6 in OpenVPN Cloud

Post by awilsonyoko » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:11 am

Hi all,

Is it possible to disable pushing IPv6 commands to OpenVPN Cloud clients?

I have a Weidmuller IE-SR-4TX modem acting as the OpenVPN client, but it fails to connect with the message:

L3-VPN1: /sbin/ip -6 addr add fd:0:0:8102::2/64 dev L3-VPN1
L3-VPN1: Linux ip -6 addr add failed: external program exited with error status: 2
L3-VPN1: Exiting due to fatal error

This leads me to believe that the device is not compatible with IPv6 (it is not mentioned anywhere else in it's configuration) and the connection is failing because the OpenVPN Cloud server is trying to push an IPv6 route, which it doesn't understand.

I have tried adding options like "pull-filter ignore "ifconfig-ipv6"" to the OpenVPN Client Options under WPC -> Advanced Configuration, but this gives a message that "L3-VPN1: Options error: option 'pull-filter' cannot be used in this context ([PUSH-OPTIONS])".

Eventually I hope to connect this device to the Cloud along with an Azure VM that will access devices behind the modem.

Regards.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Disable IPv6 in OpenVPN Cloud

Post by openvpn_inc » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:20 am

Hi,

IPv6 is default and globally configured to the system, however, you can disable it by adding the below parameter in the configuration file.
pull-filter ignore ifconfig-ipv6
pull-filter ignore route-ipv6
pull-filter ignore 'redirect-gateway ipv6'

Regards,
.\kionci
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support