YouTube foreign advertisement bleedthrough

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

rbevill7
OpenVpn Newbie

YouTube foreign advertisement bleedthrough

Post by rbevill7 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:01 am

I have been using an OpenVPN server uninterrupted for over 5 years, so that my daughter who is studying abroad can have access to our home network.

About two weeks ago, my other children at-home began to experience bleed through of German advertisements on their YouTube apps. Also, whenever I now do a google search in my browser, a new pop-up message happens each time forcing me to re-login into my google browser session. This only occurs when attempting a google search.

I have made no changes to my original OpenVPN configuration from 5 years, except to update the server. I then rebuilt a completely new VirtualBox instance with a clean build from CentOS7 and the latest OpenVPN build. Still happens.

This doesn't make any sense to me that the origination ip addresses of my daughter in Germany would somehow spill through the VPN server and affect the other network clients within my home network. The OpenVPN server is on a VirtualBox session on CentOS7-minimal-x64 and nothing else. The network interface is bridged in order to give the OpenVPN server its own 192.168.1.x ip address. When my daughter checks the IP address from Germany, it still shows the Xfinity/Comcast ip address associated with my home network.

Sorry. I am completely stumped as to why this would bleed through and affect the iOS and Windows clients.