OpenVPN 2.6.0 update causes Windows infinite circle boot issue on Dell laptops

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
Heir
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN 2.6.0 update causes Windows infinite circle boot issue on Dell laptops

Post by Heir » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:27 am

Good day everyone,

We recently upgraded our OpenVPN from 2.4.8 to version 2.6.0 and Dell laptops stopped booting. They are stuck on Windows spinning circle and never display a login screen. As shown below:

The only remedy out of this situation was launching Safe Boot and removing a device called OpenVPN Data Channel Offload.
After that each PC boots okay.
I see such adapter is not present on version 2.4.8.

Such behavior was not replicated on Lenovo branded laptops. This issue exists on every Dell laptop used in our company - about 15 machines. The model and hardware differ, but the behavior is the same.

Has anyone encountered similar?

Cheers.

Pippin
Forum Team

Re: OpenVPN 2.6.0 update causes Windows infinite circle boot issue on Dell laptops

Post by Pippin » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:08 pm

Hi,

Yes, it's known, please take a read here:
https://github.com/OpenVPN/ovpn-dco-win/issues/24
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp

Pippin
Forum Team

Re: OpenVPN 2.6.0 update causes Windows infinite circle boot issue on Dell laptops

Post by Pippin » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:23 pm

Ok,

Version
OpenVPN-2.6.0-I004-amd64.msi
should fix that:
https://build.openvpn.net/downloads/releases/
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp

Heir
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Heir » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:38 pm

I can confirm above version works okay.

Case closed.

Pippin
Forum Team

Post by Pippin » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:40 pm

Thanks for reporting back.
Halton Arp