TAP mode is not supported

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
zeus64
OpenVpn Newbie

TAP mode is not supported

Post by zeus64 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:01 am

Hello,

I installed the 3.3.6 version of OpenVPN connect and when I try to import an openVPN config I received "Error message: Option_error: proto_option_error: TAP mode is not supported"

What can I do to make it working? Note: it's work very well with an old version of OpenVPN

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: TAP mode is not supported

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:12 am

Hello zeus64,

TAP mode, or bridging mode, is not supported in OpenVPN3 based clients like OpenVPN Connect v3. Please use an OpenVPN2 based client for that use-case, such as OpenVPN GUI.

And no, we do not have any plans or intentions to bring bridging support to OpenVPN3. We do not recommend bridging and I will also take this opportunity again to point out that in almost all use cases using routing is the better solution. You might want to look into that.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

zeus64
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by zeus64 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:49 am

thanks Johan, can I use on my computer both openVPN connect 3.3.6 and OpenVPN connect 2 ?
The problem is that I do not have the hand over the openVPN server so I can't change it :(

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:06 am

Hello zeus64,

Yes you can use both programs side-by-side.

Good luck,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

NoDaddy
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by NoDaddy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:35 pm

Some programs do not Broadcast IP over TUN !

In particular Presonus Universal Control (which controls StudioLive professional audio mixer) doesn't not broadcast IP over TUN, and I'm forced to use old OpenVPN client that's still supports TAP.

I spoke to other audio engineers and they all confirm this. That software is very popular and many people remotely connect to it over the internet. Please return TAP support!

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:30 pm

Hello NoDaddy,

Let me try to show my point of view on this. You have an application that does not use IP packets. And you and your group of fellow audio engineers use this program over the Internet, which is primarily an IP network. So let me highlight that point; you are using a program that does not use IP packets over a network that transports IP packets. This does not work. So you use a workaround. If the primary use-case of this program is indeed to use it over the Internet, it should be using IP packets. And then there is no problem and you can use OpenVPN3 just fine without bridging.

What you have however is an application that does not use IP packets, but something else, which will apparently only work on a layer 2 network. Layer 2 is part of the OSI model that explains how network layers work and means that it works at a lower more basic level than Layer 3 IP packets. Fortunately for you, OpenVPN2 supports this. It can bridge remote VPN clients to a local network. It can even bridge entire networks together. The data sent and received even if it is not IP packets is encapsulated into IP packets so that it can be transported over the Internet, which actually solves or rather works around the problem that your application has at its very heart.

OpenVPN2 bridging is in effect a workaround for the inherent problem that your application has - it doesn't know how to send IP packets that can travel over the Internet so you use OpenVPN2's bridging capability to work around this issue.

My point of view is that your application should learn how to do IP packets, that's where it should actually be solved.

However, there's no need to argue. OpenVPN2 is here and it will stay. It supports bridging and will continue to do so. I advise that you use that. It is not 'old'. The last update it got was like 2 weeks ago.

OpenVPN3 is a new generation program that you don't have to use. Nobody is forcing you to use it. You can even use an OpenVPN2 client against an OpenVPN3 server and vice-versa - they are protocol compatible, so we support both OpenVPN2 and OpenVPN3 at the same time. We just did not add bridging support into OpenVPN3, because this is not a common use-case.

Let me highlight that part as well; we can cover pretty much all use-cases except a very few like yours by implementing just IP packet support, and not doing bridging. There is only a very small percentage of use-cases that actually require bridging. And of those use-cases, there is a part that could be solved by doing things with IP packets instead. And those use-cases that are left that are valid for requiring bridging, we cover with OpenVPN2.

Note also that there are inherent problems with bridging that are avoided by using IP routing. Like for example bridging 2 networks together, and both of them trying to be in charge of both networks because they are now 'one' network (DHCP as an example). Or the fact that broadcast traffic generated by one client can load all VPN tunnels to all connected VPN clients. These kinds of problems do not occur with Layer 3 IP based networks.

Hopefully this clarifies things a bit and you will come to understand that it is okay to use OpenVPN2 in your particular use-case.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.

NoDaddy
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by NoDaddy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:56 pm

>>>OpenVPN2 is here and it will stay. It supports bridging and will continue to do so. I advise that you use that. It is not 'old'. The last update it got was like 2 weeks ago.

Thanks Johan. Is this the latest OpenVPN2 version: openvpn-install-2.4.7-I607 ?
This is what I have installed but if I'm not mistaken, it says 2019. Could you please point me to the new version to which you are referring as updated 2 weeks ago?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:11 pm

Hello NoDaddy,

Actually version 2.6.0 is now currently the latest version - it was just released like a few hours ago and the main https://openvpn.net/ website will be receiving an update in the next day or so to reflect that. You can find all versions here though;
https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/

Good luck,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.

NoDaddy
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by NoDaddy » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:13 pm

Thanks, but I've tried all versions newer than 2.4.7-I607 and my mixer meters don't work in any of them. They work only in 2.4.7-I607. I use Presonus Universal Control software to control a Presonus StudioLive hardware digital mixer. Universal Control should display meters for every channel but it doesn't work in above mentioned versions. Do you have any idea why?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:34 pm

Hello NoDaddy,

Sorry, no idea why. If this programs only works with TAP, well, OpenVPN 2.5 and 2.6 both have that, just like 2.4. I suggest you contact the software manufacturer and explain the problems there. Perhaps they are able to provide an explanation or solution.

Since this topic is now firmly in the realm of the open source OpenVPN2 program, I shall move the topic there. Perhaps someone from community has some ideas on how to investigate this particular issue.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.

NoDaddy
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by NoDaddy » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:48 am

Thanks.
NoDaddy wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:13 pm
I've tried all versions newer than 2.4.7-I607 and my mixer meters don't work in any of them. They work only in 2.4.7-I607. I use Presonus Universal Control software to control a Presonus StudioLive hardware digital mixer. Universal Control should display meters for every channel but it doesn't work in above mentioned versions. Do you have any idea why?
If anyone might have an idea why this is happening, please share your thoughts.

NoDaddy
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by NoDaddy » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:06 pm

Johan,

Is there a setting that is disabled by default in versions higher than 2.4 7, which was enabled by default in 2.4.7 ?

josereyes24
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by josereyes24 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:50 am

What solution is there to be able to share folders through OpenVPN in Windows?

NoDaddy
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by NoDaddy » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:38 am

Hello again.

Are there OpenVPN client Android apps that support TAP? I'm on Android 12. Older versions of the app maybe, or by another developer?

Thanks!

PetervdM
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by PetervdM » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:55 am

the only one i know of is "VPN Client Pro" by colucci-web.it, but i haven't searched for an other one recently
the non-pro version used to come with a onetime fee, but that one doesn't sell anymore. the pro version has a recurring fee.

NoDaddy
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by NoDaddy » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:05 pm

PetervdM wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:55 am
the only one i know of is "VPN Client Pro" by colucci-web.it, but i haven't searched for an other one recently
the non-pro version used to come with a onetime fee, but that one doesn't sell anymore. the pro version has a recurring fee.
Thanks.

NoDaddy
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by NoDaddy » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:51 pm

Does this latest version 2.6.9 support TAP ?

PetervdM
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by PetervdM » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:33 am

NoDaddy wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:51 pm
Does this latest version 2.6.9 support TAP ?

yes
https://build.openvpn.net/man/openvpn-2 ... vpn.8.html