OpenVPN client stays in 'Connecting' status

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
SP1
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN client stays in 'Connecting' status

Post by SP1 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:27 pm

Hi there,

I am absolutely a newbie to setting up my own VPN so please bare with me :-)

I am trying to set-up OpenVPN client to work with Netgear Orbi router. Followed all the instructions to enable vpn connection on router setting, downloaded windows config file and installed OpenVPN GUI (v 2.5.8). Upon launching GUI with downloaded .ovpn config file - got few warning messages that I was able to address by updating config file. But never able to establish connection - currently when I launch OpenVPN GUI - it stays in 'Current State: Connecting' phase and never moves past that. Nothing gets recorded in log file to know why its hanging in that state and unable to complete connection.

On Netgear Orbi router - I did enable Dynamic DNS and set-up host using default No-IP service (Netgear defaulted to it). What am I missing or what other changes I need to make here to resolve connection issue. Netgear Orbi router is connected to internet service provider's cable modem.

Since using Netgear router's vpn option - do not have any server files or set-up options. Any help to troubleshoot is greatly appreciated. Help me folks - please. Here is my current .ovpn config file -

cllient config

client
dev tap
proto udp
dev-node NETGEAR-VPN
remote XXX.mynetgear.com 12974
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
ca ca.crt
cert client.crt
comp-lzo (this line has been removed from config to address one of the warning message)
key client.key
data-ciphers-fallback AES-128-CBC (added this to address one of the warning message)
cipher AES-128-CBC
verb 0
sndbuf 393216
rcvbuf 393216
remote-cert-tls server (added this to address one of the warning message)

Since using Netgear router's vpn option - do not have any server files or set-up options. Any help to troubleshoot is greatly appreciated. Help me folks - please.

SP1
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN client stays in 'Connecting' status

Post by SP1 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:14 pm

anyone!! someone!! guidance please :-)