Help Needed in Creating Network with OpenVPN Cloud and Enabling Routing From Windows Server

Next-generation cloud-hosted OpenVPN business solution.
alegory
OpenVpn Newbie

Help Needed in Creating Network with OpenVPN Cloud and Enabling Routing From Windows Server

Post by alegory » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I am trying to set up a network through the OpenVPN Cloud and I am experiencing a bit of difficulty. I would greatly appreciate some help in troubleshooting my current issue! My background is concentrated in programming, so I am a novice when it comes to networking concepts. I will try to be as detailed and descriptive as possible in the steps I have currently taken in hopes of receiving the best troubleshooting tips, but I apologize in advance if I am providing unnecessary information.

I created a network in the OpenVPN admin portal with the subnet 192.168.1.0/24 and created a connector for this subnet. I installed the connector profile on a system running a trial version of Windows Server 2019 – which I will refer to from here on out as the Windows Server / Connector-PC.

On my laptop – running Windows 10 Home – I have installed the OpenVPN Client and have connected with a user profile. I will refer to this system as the Admin-PC.

My goal is to ping another device – Device 1 – in the same subnet as the Connector-PC / Windows Server remotely from the Admin-PC. Device 1 does NOT have the OpenVPN Connect Client installed.

I’ve been following the instructions presented in the “Remote access to private services” section in the OpenVPN documentation here: https://openvpn.net/cloud-docs/connecti ... onnectors/

I believe I am currently stuck on step 12 in the instructions – “enable routing by turning on IP forwarding”. Initially, I set about doing this by following the instructions given in the documentation found here: https://openvpn.net/cloud-docs/connecti ... 6-network/

I added the Remote Access Role and Features to the Windows Server / Connector-PC, and then configured LAN routing as per the instructions. I have also gone into the registry files and edited the IPEnableRouter parameter – found in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters. Changing the value from 0 to 1 so IP Forwarding is enabled.

Based on my limited understanding - the packet should now be pushed to Device 1 from the VPN IP of the Windows Server / Connector-PC now that routing is enabled, however, executing the tracert command shows that the packet hops to the OpenVPN Cloud Server and then hops to the VPN ID of the Connector-PC, but times out after the 2nd hop.

Any ideas or insights as to why I am having this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Also in case this information is pertinent to troubleshooting:

My current configuration is a PC running Windows Server 2019 (trial version) with a wired connection from an embedded LOM 1 port to the LAN input on a T-Mobile LTE Wi-Fi Gateway and a laptop – Device 1 – wirelessly connected to it. My Admin-PC is connected to a different gateway. I’m trying to ping Device 1 remotely from my Admin-PC through the OpenVPN Cloud services.

One difference I noticed in the set-up I’m using compared to the set-up illustrated in the second link provided above is that my Windows Server only has one interface (aside from the virtual one created with OpenVPN) while the example has a Windows Server that has two ethernet interfaces. I’m unsure if this is causing my routing issues, but I’d like to mention it just in case. Thank you all in advance, cheers!

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Help Needed in Creating Network with OpenVPN Cloud and Enabling Routing From Windows Server

Post by openvpn_inc » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:23 am

Hi,

Please open a ticket at https://openvpn.net/support/ instead.

Regards,
.\kionci
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support