E: The update command takes no arguments.

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
DonM
OpenVpn Newbie

E: The update command takes no arguments.

Post by DonM » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:07 pm

I have my ubuntu 22.04 server installed on a optiplex machine. When I type in the command
apt update && apt -y install ca-certificates wget net-tools gnupg
it says
E: update command takes no arguments.
So I can not move forward. Any ideas on how I might get help with this ?
This is the instruction given to install a remote access server but it is not working.

Are the instructions given by OPENVPN for remote access server wrong ? or did I do something wrong when I installed the server ?

On my first server install I setup a desktop and It gave me permission errors and I saw other people making posts about that with no answer. Do people setup bare metal open access servers ? Does this work ?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: E: The update command takes no arguments.

Post by openvpn_inc » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:57 am

Hello,

No, those commands are not wrong. Those commands are tested to work on Ubuntu 22.04. I don't see anything wrong with them. This might be some copy/paste mistake.

Can you try typing it in manually? Can you trying separating it into 2 separate commands without the &&? Like this:

apt update
apt -y install ca-certificates wget net-tools ngupg

If you still get an error on 'apt update' you might want to investigate what program is actually being called when you type in 'apt' because there may be something up with your system.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

DonM
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by DonM » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:24 am

apt update $$ apt -y install ca-certificates wget net-tools gnupg

I am going to install the desktop so I can copy the commands in from the instructions.

During the first server install it gave me a 13: permission denied error when I pasted in
apt update && apt -y install ca-certificates wget net-tools gnupg

DonM
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by DonM » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:37 am

Ok so now I am logged into the open vpn server install. I opened up terminal and I pasted the command in ( apt update && apt -y install ca-certificates wget net-tools gnupg ) and this is what I get

E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin - RemoveCaches (13: Permission denied)
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin - RemoveCaches (13: Permission denied)
donmur@3rdserver:~$
This is the same as what I got BEFORE I installed the desktop.
I am doing something wrong

This is a fresh install of ubuntu server 22.04 installed on a dell optiplex I wish to use this as a open vpn server. I hope to learn about these and set these up for people. I want to use a machine that will do some fast encryption work. It seams a intell i3 processor that supports AES would speed things up. It seams installing on bare metal will be better than a VM because less things to go wrong. ? The errors hint that I dont have root permission but I still got the error even when I was signed in with a root user. So after doing the
sudo passwd root
the same results when i try to run the
apt update && apt -y install ca-certificates wget net-tools gnupg I still get the same thing.
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin - RemoveCaches (13: Permission denied)
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin - RemoveCaches (13: Permission denied)

I am still trying to learn about all of this. I am learning I dont know anything

DonM
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by DonM » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:28 am

I am starting over. THis time I am going to install 2 ssd drives in this machine. ONe will be for making images of my OS disk. Last time I did not use SSH during the server install where you connect to github for a certificate. Maybe this was the missing piece. MY home router has the mac address of the network card and it has a IP address reserved for this machine. So I have
subnet: 192.168.1.0/24
adress 192.168.1.131
gateway 192.168.1.2 my home router ip
name server 192.168.1.2
So after each step I am going to make a image of my disk as I go along. So If I need to I can go back as if I was using snapshots. I do not wish to bring windows and hyper-v into this because every time windows updates then I will have a broken remote access server.
So I am starting over with 22.04 server install. After I install the server I plan to install a ubuntu desktop so I can access the commands. Hopefully installing the desktop wont mess up anything for the remote access server to get setup. Last time when I typed in sudo -s it let me run the commands but it kept saying that it was not updating becuse of no secure connection. So I plan to put in my github user/pass during install this time.

DonM
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by DonM » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:37 am

openvpn_inc wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:57 am
Hello,

No, those commands are not wrong. Those commands are tested to work on Ubuntu 22.04. I don't see anything wrong with them. This might be some copy/paste mistake.

Can you try typing it in manually? Can you trying separating it into 2 separate commands without the &&? Like this:

apt update
apt -y install ca-certificates wget net-tools ngupg

If you still get an error on 'apt update' you might want to investigate what program is actually being called when you type in 'apt' because there may be something up with your system.

Kind regards,
Johan
Thank You $$ and && ! are not the same!

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:30 pm

Hello,

You're right, && and $$ are definitely not the same. Computers are very unforgiving when it comes to using the wrong characters.

Also, permission denied usually indicates you don't have the required permissions. On Linux it is common to start out with a user that has 'normal' privileges whereby you can run programs and create files in your own area on the filesystem, and you can make some adjustments to settings. But when it comes to installing or updating software, or changing system settings, you will need root privileges. This can be done by either logging in as or switching to the 'root' user account or by using 'sudo' to run commands with 'root' permissions. In our documentation we are usually pretty clear to warn when you need to 'run commands as root user'.

Good luck.
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support