Configuring Peer to Peer using OpenVPN Access Server

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
ralphshep
OpenVpn Newbie

Configuring Peer to Peer using OpenVPN Access Server

Post by ralphshep » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:09 am

Hello,

I'm trying to create a peer-to-peer VPN connection between my two TrueNAS servers. Since TrueNAS requires you to create your own certificates and CAs for each user with a lot of confusing manual programming if you use their built-in OpenVPN server, I opted to install OpenVPN Access Server in a VM running Ubuntu Server on my home TrueNAS system. I want to configure this OpenVPN server to only pass through my home TrueNAS server.

To do this I started by following this guide for setting up a site-to-site VPN: [URL] https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... way-client [URL]

Therefore, on the VPN Settings tab, I set the "Specify the private subnets to which all clients should be given access" to my home IP range. Then, I opened my user and added my VPN's IP range to the access control under the user permissions with all set to routing. However, this doesn't seem to have worked.

What am I missing? Does some sort of static routes need to be set up between the VPN's subnet and the home subnet? And, does that need to be done in Ubuntu or in Access Server?

Thanks!

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Configuring Peer to Peer using OpenVPN Access Server

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:07 am

Hi,

Please review the guide, it is mentioned there that on the new user account check the box for auto-login privileges. Then click Show to reveal more settings. Set the Configure VPN gateway option to yes and in the large text field that then appears below it, enter the subnet of the remote network where the Linux OpenVPN client gateway system is going to be installed.

Then on both ends make sure to configure the additional routing stuff as mentioned in the guide.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
.\kionci
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support