External cert not found after migrating to new iphone

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
HenryL
OpenVpn Newbie

External cert not found after migrating to new iphone

Post by HenryL » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:22 pm

Having recently been forced to upgrade from my old iphone 5S (ios12), after a data migration to the new(er) iphone SE (ios16) from backup held on desktop mac (not phone-to-phone transfer) the Connect app (ver 3.3.2, 5086) now just gives me "External Certificate Not Found" error if I try to use either of my installed profiles. (EPKI_INVALID_ALIAS, EPKI_ERROR, external_pki_error: identity not found).

I tried deleting the cert P12 from within the app, then re-installing a fresh copy (.ovpn12) via the app, but it has made no difference.

It had been working fine on the old phone although had not needed to use it for a while so I'm not sure how the timings might line up with updates of the app. Anwyay I got the old phone out again to see if it still worked there... It has the same 3.3.2 version of 'connect' and I do NOT get the same error on the old phone, it is evidently finding the cert ok ("Keychain Cert Extraction: 1 certificate(s) found"), but exasperatingly it has mysteriously acquired another problem although I have changed nothing in the solution/config. It now does not connect, getting 'server poll timeout'. At the server I am seeing 'UNDEF common name' (and user name). All the config data seems to be in place as usual at the server. I haven't looked further into this problem yet, but I mention it in case it gives a clue/linkage with the complete stoppage problem on the new phone.

I have struggled to find any relevant information about migrating to new iphones, any differences in cert handling, or this particular error.

Help much appreciated.
Thanks/ Henry

HenryL
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: External cert not found after migrating to new iphone

Post by HenryL » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:04 pm

BTW it's a self-generated/signed certificate.

Why does the connect app not find it now on the new phone even though it seemingly installed it itself OK into the keystore ? (no apparent errors on importing the P12)

Would deleting and re-installing the profiles do anything useful? (I'll try it anyway in due course).

Did the handling of the cert store change impactfully at some point along the recent iphone/ios evolution?