OpenVPN Client setup on OpenBSD 7.2

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
Entropic
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN Client setup on OpenBSD 7.2

Post by Entropic » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:48 am

Hi all,

I've been banging my head against the wall for at least a week now trying to get OpenVPN configured on my OpenBSD desktop.
I've been using this really well written guide https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/install-c ... d-desktop/ but when I run

Code: Select all

ifconfig tun0
it reports this OpenVPN configured interface as being "down". All previous steps in the guide were followed successfully afaik but of course its not an operating system that gives much feedback so perhaps I'm missing something...

I'm pretty sure the OpenVPN "daemon" is running because after using vi to edit the hostname.tun0 file (the main configuration file that OpenVPN refers to when starting), I notice that I get prompted for an "auth username" and then "password" on the startup screens of OpenBSD, and just before the main login screen.

For context: It's a relatively fresh OpenBSD 7.2 installation with internet supplied via a standard router --> ethernet connection into the OpenBSD box. It's just using DHCP and the internet works fine as I've proven through both pinging the cloudflare servers (1.1.1.1) and by downloading various packages before setting up the OpenVPN. The hostname.tun0 file only has the text in it that the guide suggests (i.e. up
!/usr/local/sbin/openvpn --daemon --config /etc/openvpn/openbsd.ovpn) and the .ovpn files are in what I assume is the right directory (/etc/openvpn) yet I still get this "down" when checking the openvpn interface (tun0) status using

Code: Select all

ifconfig tun0
So what's missing?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I just need secure internet on this new device!