How to share my vpn server public?

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
mohammad alsharqi
OpenVpn Newbie

How to share my vpn server public?

Post by mohammad alsharqi » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:27 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm new with openvpn and i've created vpn server through vmware, currently when i put my server ip it be accessible but when i replace it with hostname i got error of DNS lookup failed on host.

How i make it puplic so i can access to my vpn server anywhere?

thanks

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: How to share my vpn server public?

Post by novaflash » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:37 pm

Hello mohammad,

The DNS record must resolve to the public IP of your server. So if you get a DNS lookup failure it means the DNS record could not be resolved. Fix that and things should work. You can't just 'make up' a DNS record, you have to register it with some public instance like some domain registration company or dynamic DNS system.

Kind regards,
Johan
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

mohammad alsharqi
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by mohammad alsharqi » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:04 pm

is that available in openvpn cloud? if no? could you assist me with some examples

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:12 pm

Hello mohammad,

OpenVPN Cloud already by default works with a DNS hostname, you can't get it there without.

For domain registration you really have to talk to a company that does domain registration, and not us.

Kind regards,
Johan
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

mohammad alsharqi
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by mohammad alsharqi » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:41 pm

Thanks too much for your help, i already got hostname and put it in server name field in openvpn server, it works well when i used it in the local network but the server not accessible when i try to connect through outside ?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:29 am

Hello mohammad,

Then you need to make sure that whatever your domain name resolves to is a public IP and not a private IP. And ensure that the public IP opens and forwards the ports used for the VPN connection to your actual VPN server.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

mohammad alsharqi
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by mohammad alsharqi » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:34 am

Thanks Joham, I'm trying to change my private ip to puplic in virtual machine by adding command remote but i got command not found

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:34 pm

Hello mohammad,

The 'remote' directive is a configuration directive in OpenVPN that instructs an OpenVPN client where to connect to. It does not allow you to change a virtual machine's IP address.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support