DNS error

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
Gidro76
OpenVpn Newbie

DNS error

Post by Gidro76 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:52 am

Good afternoon. When connecting to an openvpn server, the DNS server stops responding after a while. There are no disconnections or losses. After the reconnect, the DNS is immediately restored and continues to respond for some time. Has anyone encountered this and how did you resolve it? Mac can be both on m1 and on intel processors. Repeats everywhere

ordex
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: DNS error

Post by ordex » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:23 am

Is the DNS in question reached over the VPN or on the LAN? If it's on the VPN, maybe it's the tunnel that is getting disrupted.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:50 am

Hello Gidro76,

Additional, is this only occurring on macOS Ventura? And which client is being used? And which server?

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

Gidro76
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Gidro76 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:04 am

ordex wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:23 am
Is the DNS in question reached over the VPN or on the LAN? If it's on the VPN, maybe it's the tunnel that is getting disrupted.
DNS is reached and working. After a certain amount of time, it ceases to be available. At the same time, there is a vpn connection. As an example, internal resources become unavailable. Nslookup on internal resources fails

Gidro76
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Gidro76 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:09 am

openvpn_inc wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:50 am
Hello Gidro76,

Additional, is this only occurring on macOS Ventura? And which client is being used? And which server?

Kind regards,
Johan
I can't confirm that only in MacOS Ventura. The version specifically on such clients was updated to 3.4. The server is using version 2.5.6

wesleykirklandsg
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by wesleykirklandsg » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:01 pm

I also am having this one Ventura under 13.0.1. My DNS resolver will fail anywhere from 15 seconds to an hour. Most of the time it seems to fail within 15 minutes. My work is requiring a VPN for most things and I'm reconnecting around 20 times a day. Everything worked fine on Monteray.

Build: Version 3.4.0 (4506)

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:31 pm

Hello,

While not entirely consistent, it does seem that on Ventura something changed with DNS that seems to break things, but it's not sure yet. We're gathering information. I don't have anything further than that to report unfortunately.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

Gidro76
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Gidro76 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:56 am

openvpn_inc wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:31 pm
Hello,

While not entirely consistent, it does seem that on Ventura something changed with DNS that seems to break things, but it's not sure yet. We're gathering information. I don't have anything further than that to report unfortunately.

Kind regards,
Johan
Good afternoon. Did you manage to find out anything?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:18 am

Hello Gidro76,

Yes, we believe we've found a solution but it requires a new macOS release. We're now testing this and preparing it for a release. It's always a little difficult to estimate when a release can be made because if issues are found during testing the release may need to be pushed until later. However I am expecting a release to become available in the next week or so that should solve this. I'll try to remember to update this thread once it's out.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.

Gidro76
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Gidro76 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:36 am

openvpn_inc wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:18 am
Hello Gidro76,

Yes, we believe we've found a solution but it requires a new macOS release. We're now testing this and preparing it for a release. It's always a little difficult to estimate when a release can be made because if issues are found during testing the release may need to be pushed until later. However I am expecting a release to become available in the next week or so that should solve this. I'll try to remember to update this thread once it's out.

Kind regards,
Johan
Thanks a lot for your answer
Waiting for your decision then

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:20 pm

Hello everyone,

We have released a new macOS OpenVPN Connect v3 build version 3.4.1 that enables a watchdog function for DNS settings. So if some process resets these DNS settings implemented by OpenVPN Connect, they should automatically be corrected again.

You can obtain the latest version here:
https://openvpn.net/client-connect-vpn-for-mac-os/

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.

izhmurikov
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by izhmurikov » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:14 am

we have confirm from users - problem is solved

freerk
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by freerk » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:34 pm

I had the same issue before 3.4.1, it then got fixed but now occurs again (exact same symptoms, DNS getting forgotten after a few minutes) since 3.4.4. Is there a possibility to get back to 3.4.1 until the issue is fixed?

JosephS
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by JosephS » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:15 pm

Hi freerk,

It's true that this issue has re-emerged with the release of v. 3.4.4 on macOS.
However, it has been fixed once again with 3.4.6.

With Regards,
Joseph