Android app connection problem

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
okd1
OpenVpn Newbie

Android app connection problem

Post by okd1 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:45 am

Hello, I'm not an IT expert so maybe I'm making a mistake somewhere
I ran Openvpn on my ASUS RTAX-92
I launched the client application on windows and it works fine, I checked by connecting the hotspot from my phone (mobile data)
However, the application on the phone, despite using the same client profile file, does not work. Can't connect to the server ;-(
I thought it might be a problem with my local DNS server, because the windows application started only after selecting the option to use local DNS server. Unfortunately, I cannot find this option in the mobile application
Does anybody have an idea ??

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Android app connection problem

Post by openvpn_inc » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:39 pm

Hello okd1,

The option to use local DNS server is to allow for using a DNS server that is on localhost. Not to fix DNS problems.

Without knowing more, my guess would be that the DNS server that you're using becomes unreachable when the VPN is up. This could be a matter of a bad DNS server being pushed, or bad routes, bad configuration - who knows. It's only possible to figure this out by looking at logs and doing some basic troubleshooting like pinging google.com and 8.8.8.8 and seeing which one works and which one fails. But at a guess I would say it's a bad DNS configuration, therefore things don't work, and purely by accident, setting local DNS resolves does something that 'fixes' it. So I'd suggest looking at DNS configuration on the server side.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

okd1
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Android app connection problem

Post by okd1 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:29 pm

The strange thing is that a computer with Window using the same cellular network (mobile hotspot) works fine