Can´t connect to SMB shared folder from IOS through 4G mobile network

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
soyrober
OpenVpn Newbie

Can´t connect to SMB shared folder from IOS through 4G mobile network

Post by soyrober » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:03 pm

Hi, first of all sorry for my English, hehe... I'll tell you about my case in case you can help me.

I have Openvpn configured on a Tp-Link ER605 router and working correctly. From a Windows PC or an Android (with the CX File Explorer app), I can perfectly access the shares of an SMB server from outside the local network (via Wi-Fi or 4G mobile network). However, if I access with an IOS device (iPhone or iPad) through a 4G mobile network, it gives an error when accessing the SMB server (using the Files app or ES File Explorer app). Openvpn connects successfully and I can ping the server, but it won't let me access the share. I have tested on 2 different iPhones and 1 iPad. The funny thing is that if it works perfectly if I make the connection from Wi-Fi, it only fails when I connect from 4G. Even more curious is that if I share the 4G mobile network of the iphone with the ipad (and vice versa) and I connect via shared wifi, it works perfectly and lets me enter the shared resource of the SMB server. It is very rare... In short, with any IOS device it only allows me to access via Wi-Fi (either through the Wi-Fi of a normal router or through the shared Wi-Fi from a 4G mobile network).

I hope I explained myself well and that you can help me, thank you very much.

soyrober
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Can´t connect to SMB shared folder from IOS through 4G mobile network

Post by soyrober » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:49 pm

Hi again, it's fixed now. The problem was with the apps that I used to access the SMB server, I found one that works perfectly. I put the link of the app in case someone is useful. Cheers

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/remote-file-manager-basic/id626591824