Every time I disconnect I have to renew my IP to get connected

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
developeratmcd
OpenVpn Newbie

Every time I disconnect I have to renew my IP to get connected

Post by developeratmcd » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:27 pm

Hi, we are running an asus rt-ac86u with the openvpn client set up, then we've generated a profile which we then use on OpenVPN Connect client on macOS - version 3.4.0.

We can connect fine to the VPN but if we come off the VPN we lose access to the network and only an IP renew from terminal or system settings is getting us back on the netwok.

Any ides on what we might be doing wrong?

Thanks.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: very time I disconnect I have to renew my IP to get connected

Post by openvpn_inc » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:49 pm

Hello developeratmcd,

Perhaps you're dealing with a subnet conflict - subnet being pushed same as local subnet, causing a clash?

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

developeratmcd
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by developeratmcd » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:29 am

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. Ok so do you know how I could check to see if that might be happening? Others can connect to the same VPN without the issue I'm having so I thought it could be my mac that's the issue.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:30 am

Hello,

You check which subnet you are actually on by looking at your network details, and you check which subnets are being pushed to OpenVPN by looking at the OpenVPN logs. You can also check the routing table before you are connected, and after you are connected, and after you are disconnected, to see if anything untowards is happening there (like for example routes are gone between the 'before VPN connected' and 'after VPN disconnected' situation).

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support