Get Static IP Adress for my Home Network

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
FabianWeithaler
OpenVpn Newbie

Get Static IP Adress for my Home Network

Post by FabianWeithaler » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:23 pm

Hello,

In my home network i have A Server with Home Assistant on it, and want to controll my home from everywhere. i have a 4G Router at home and therefore no static IP Adress. Is it possible to connect my home server via VPN to a openvpn acces server with static ip address and then access my home server over the static IP of the VPN Server?

thanks,
Fabian

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Get Static IP Adress for my Home Network

Post by openvpn_inc » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:37 am

Hello FabianWeithaler,

There are a couple of ways of going about this. The best way is to ensure there is no direct access from outside possible, for security reasons. So while it is possible to run an OpenVPN Access Server somewhere on the Internet where there is a public IP, and you can forward a port from there to your internal network's Home Assistant installation, that would expose it to the Internet directly, and that's not a great idea. It is better to set up an OpenVPN Access Server somewhere that is reachable by your home network and your laptop or phone, and then connect your Home Assistant and your laptop or phone to that same Access Server, and then have them communicate over the VPN network. That way only authenticated and connected VPN users can access your private network resources (Home Assistant).

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support