Open vpn for small business

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
nani1149
OpenVpn Newbie

Open vpn for small business

Post by nani1149 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:21 am

Hi Team,

We have site where few windows database servers are running and would like to access them remotely. We are thinking to implement openvpn. could you please help me understanding below question.

1.What do we need to do once we install Openvpn server in cloud in order to access our database servers remotely.
2.Do we need to have any additional hardware in office location ?

Could you please help me understand this .

Thank you

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Open vpn for small business

Post by openvpn_inc » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:15 pm

Hi nani1149,

It's pretty simple if you have the experience in network and routing issues, and it can be learned (openvpn(8) is a great learning tool!) even if you don't. But your questions indicate two things:
  1. You don't have that kind of expertise on staff
  2. You have a business need for this
So I'd suggest that you consider the commercial OpenVPN Cloud service, or perhaps the proprietary OpenVPN Access Server software product.

We of course are here to support our open source software, and indeed if you want to go in that direction we are happy to help. You might want to start with our very good HOWTO and ask where you have specific questions.

Just so it does not sound like I dodged your actual questions:
  1. You need routes at both ends of the VPN so packets can reach the network(s) on the other side.
  2. No additional hardware should be needed. You do, however, need to have the ability to manage routes in your site routers. (Sometimes ISP CPE does not let you do this.)
regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support