Cox Panoramic Modem and Router

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

OpenClaude
OpenVpn Newbie

Cox Panoramic Modem and Router

Post by OpenClaude » Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:24 am

I am using Cox Internet and had a Linksys WRT3200AC router up until today. I ran into the certificate expired problem on the router and was unable to look at the data on my home computer. I also had a problem with my Cox mailbox being full. After calling support about the full email box, I decided to go with the Gigablast option which changed my email storage from 2Gb to 15. Since I had an old cable modem that wouldn't support the higher speeds, Cox came out and installed a new Cox modem that also has a router and phone modem. I searched the internet and cannot find how to use OpenVPN with the new Cox router. I was able to read my sql databases from hotel rooms when I was away on business using the Linksys, but now that I have a Cox router, I'm not sure how to connect up. Would someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Cox Panoramic Modem and Router

Post by openvpn_inc » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:55 am

Hello OpenClaude,

While I would like to help you, "a Cox router" tells us exactly nothing about what type of router it is, and what it can or cannot do. If you can provide some information about this router, what brand it is, what type it is, I could look up online if it even supports OpenVPN. There's absolutely no guarantee that all routers do, and you may have gotten unlucky with this one, and that it simply does not do VPN at all. If that turns out to be the case, a solution would be to buy a router that does do VPN and attach it to this one, so that the Cox router provides phone services, and its Internet access goes to this new router, which then goes to your home network. The new router should be selected so that it offers VPN connectivity, so you can access it from the Internet and get VPN access.

There are some recommendations from other forum users on a replacement for the WRT3200AC here - viewtopic.php?t=34892

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

OpenClaude
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by OpenClaude » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:41 pm

Hi OpenVPN_Inc, first off, thank you so much for not flaming me with your response. I know my question was very vague and not much information, but being naïve, I thought perhaps there was someone out there who has the same setup and could help. I did look on the bottom of the unit last night, and there is no information about the manufacturer.
This morning, I looked at my Cox account and viola!, the model and make is listed there. It is a Technicolor CGM4331COM. Here are the specs for it: http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/w ... CGM4331COM. What specs do I need to look for to determine if this wifi gateway will work. Thanks. Carroll

OpenClaude
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by OpenClaude » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:41 pm

Sorry, I double clutched and repeated the message